Recent MS diagnoses

Options
LouiseT
LouiseT Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Hi I've been diagnossed with MS and wondered if I could get uc  for disability, I can't walk properly and av developed spasm like pains through legs, I av no idea how uc works I currently get ESA for anxiety and nerological issues although they probably caused by MS I think I'll get lots more cash on uc 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,287 Championing
    Options
    Which ESA are you claiming, is it Income Related, New style ESA or the old contributions based? If it's Income Related and you claim UC then your ESA will stop after 2 weeks.
    Whether you'll be better off claiming UC will depend on your circumstances. If your ESA includes the SDP then you'll be worse off claiming UC.
    You should use a benefits calculator to check entitlement before doing anything else or get a full benefits check from an agency near you.

• LouiseT
    Options
    It's income related, I don't get SDP, I've already applied for UC thanks forr help
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then your ESA will continue for 2 weeks and then stop. You will need to report your health condition and send a fit note as part of the claims process. If you are in the Support Group for ESA then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. It can take a few weeks for ESA to send your details across to UC.
    If you claim for help with any rent through housing benefit, this will continue for 2 weeks and then stop. Help with the rent will be paid through UC. Your first UC payment will be 1 month and 6 days after you claimed.
  • LouiseT
    Options
    Do I really need a fit note, can't I just tell them I'm in SG, if that's the case it's annoying
  • LouiseT
    Options
    Sorry I misread message, yes I'm in SG so hopefully I'll get LCWRa straight away

• poppy123456
    Options
    LouiseT said:
    Do I really need a fit note, can't I just tell them I'm in SG, if that's the case it's annoying

Yes because it's part of the claims process. Once they receive information from ESA then you won't need anymore fit notes.
  • LouiseT
    edited November 2022
    Options
     I haven't needed a sick note in 4 years. Thanks for your help.
  • LouiseT
    Options
    I checked the official governent UC site about UC according to that site, I may not need a sick note after all, I can request a form gets sent to ESA when I attend my first apoint ment at the JC, confirming that I was on support group, apparently sending a sick note can trigger a WCA because they assume it's a new claim. Some forum posts saying the same thing on this site and Mumsnet. Thanks for all the help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yup you can do that it's called the MPG1 form.