Festival of Remembrance time — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Festival of Remembrance time

Options
Cartini
Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
Time to remember those who gave their all for us.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,752 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We must never forget.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,752 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I always find the festival both sad and uplifting but the one thing that really got to me this year was the national anthem, hearing all those people singing not God save the Queen but God save the King.

I was also surprised that this year marked the 40th anniversary of the Falklands war, how time flies.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,446 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
                  To all who served, those who lost their lives and the ones that came home, I thank each and every one of you for my life as it is today. May we never forget. 
                   I will stand proud tomorrow at my local cenotaph and remember my parents who served their country and give my thanks. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,874 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yeah my dad was fighting for everyone. I did a 2 minute silence in primark yesterday and the whole shop fell silent
  • Cartini
    Options
    Are you watching it on the TV now?
    Hi - sorry, I was watching it then; I`ve just seen this.

• Cartini
    Options
    I watch the festival every year and I`m afraid to say, for me, there appears to be more emphasis on "celebrities" and how garish they can get their poppies than on the military meaning of the occasion.
    The days of the show being solely around those who perished during all conflicts have sadly gone.

I`m not a fan of the monarchy, so when the National Anthem comes on I mute the TV.

Yes, it`s 40 years since the Falklands; fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your views, I just missed being able to prove myself in action.  My ship (Leander class frigate HMS Sirius) was on patrol in the area during the qualifying period to allow the ship`s company the award of the Falklands Medal minus the rosette (the rosette was awarded to those who were actively engaged in the conflict (with the exception of those in command cells in the UK)).
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We will Not Forget  :'(
  • Cartini
    Options
                  To all who served, those who lost their lives and the ones that came home, I thank each and every one of you for my life as it is today. May we never forget. 
                   I will stand proud tomorrow at my local cenotaph and remember my parents who served their country and give my thanks. 
    Thank you vikingqueen.  My 20 years in the Royal Navy were, with the exception of patrols in the Adriatic during the Bosnian war and the Falklands (I missed the Gulf war by the skin of my teeth), a relatively quiet and safe period.
    I remember all those who gave their all so we can live safely, and will be doing so today during the Cenotaph parade.

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you to you and any other members of the armed forces on the forum @Cartini also xx
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Never forgotten and forever respected  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,446 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
        You are very welcome @Cartini, thank you for your service. 

My father saw the horrors of WW2 along with millions more and my mother had the job of trying to heal the injured. My stepson is a serving soldier and I pray he never has to see such horror. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.