Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

PIP assessment Telephone today..... help!!!

Options
Anne0903
Anne0903 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Morning 
I have my phone assessment this afternoon and I'm worried sick. I didn't sleep last night.
I have PSA, ME, unmanageable Asthma and Long Covid. Right now I'm unable to barely move or talk as I have pneumonia due to the issues with my lungs. The long covid team have wrote a letter to my employer saying I need to reduce hours as I am unfit working. I only work 15hrs a week.

I have to say I've never wanted to apply for PIP. My children have DLA and right now I'm fighting for my son who overturned an award based on lies by the school, over the GP. Paediatrician, PT, Cawmhs etc and the stress I'm under for this too is shocking. I don't have any faith in the system at all.

Any tips to help as I know I'm going to struggling talking and breathing anyway with the pneumonia and want to make sure I get it right. I didn't fill in the PIP form as was so unwell but still got an assessment call so went back with a friend to fill in, can they see the changes on it?

I don't know what to say etc. People say record the call but I would need to download an app, so is it worth it? I'm so breathless to talk with pneumonia and worried as not slept I'll get everything wrong.

Thank you x

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bless you @Anne0903 try and calm yourself darling, it is a stressful situation applying for pip and all the waiting, just be yourself, not being funny but it might actually help you being so breathless at the moment, I wish you all the luck, let us know how it went.
    I will add I'm so sorry  to hear of your health problems, it doesn't sound nice at all what your going through.
  • Anne0903
    Options
    @SueHeath thank you I'm so nervous. Dealing with my sons stuff too I have lost all faith in the system.
  • Anne0903
    Options
    What sort of questions do they ask?
  • Queenv27
    Queenv27 Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    Options
    Anne0903 said:
    What sort of questions do they ask?
    Hi Anne0903,

I was asked who lives with me, if I had pets, do I drive and what kind of house I live in and so on.

please know that pip is about how your disability affects you. Talk more about things you can’t do. Am not an expert. Hope this helps 😁
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,740 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Anne0903 Hello there and a warm welcome to our community. I hope I'm messaging you in time before your assessment. I get that feeling of apprehension, I've been through it and so many of our members have too. It's not nice but we are here with you now, albeit virtually.

Firstly, try and relax. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Whatever the outcome, this appointment will pass and we will be here to help you (if you need it) afterwards. Tell the assessor how your conditions impact your everyday life - relating to the PIP activities if you can remember - and give examples of how you struggle to fulfil the descriptors listed.

If you need to pause to get your breath, if you get upset, if you need to get a drink - it's fine. Do it. Tell the assessor and remember, ultimately you and your health come first.  Some of the questions might seem random, but they are all designed to help the assessor get a better understanding of where you're at. 

Bear in mind - audio recording is something that needs to be requested beforehand, with the government guidance stating :
    1.6.59 At a face to face assessment, the claimant must sign a consent form in which they agree to not use the audio recording for unlawful purposes. At a telephone assessment, consent should be captured verbally on the recording.
    Good luck and please let us know how it goes. PS - treat yourself to something nice afterwards.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Anne0903
    Options
    Hi all 

The phone call was 1hr 24mins. She seemed nice and asked me a few times if I was OK and needed a moment. But obviously you can never tell.

I know people said they quite quickly got a text saying the report had been passed on the DWP but not heard anything yet.

Fingers crossed they understood and believed me.

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bless you @Anne0903 that's it it's done now, well done, just try and relax a bit now darling, it can still be a stressful time worrying about it, i found trying to distract myself helped, many people had their text etc at different times/days so try and think now "what will be will be" until you get confirmation, i know your probably thinking it's easy for me to say ha ha. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.