It's now 12 weeks since I applied for Carer's Allowance. Who else has waited a long time? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

It's now 12 weeks since I applied for Carer's Allowance. Who else has waited a long time?

Options
2»

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Thanks for updating us @RetroRemix. I can hear that this has been a really difficult and lengthy process for you.

Hopefully, as you said, it will be good news from now on. Wishing you the best of luck with this.

Please feel free to let us know how it goes for you and if you need any further support. We are all here for you and listening to you.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I am sure your experiences will be invaluable for anyone experiencing anything similar and it’s really brave of you.

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • RetroRemix
    RetroRemix Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello everyone,

So I have another update: I called today to check if the old file with me as a carer for my Dad was closed, so the new application could finally go through, but the DWP person had a look and said it still was not!

She put a note on my file requesting for it to be closed.. but I have been waiting since December thinking that once I gave them the hospital dates that it would have closed by now, as that is even what they told me.

No it turns out that it was still open :/

She then asked me to phone back next week to check if it has been closed for good.

But what if it is not closed? I really don't know what I should do then to get things going, because I've tried everything I can. What should I do? I can't just ignore it and have a file sat open in my name forever when it should be closed.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If it hasn’t been closed by next week I suggest you contact your MP for assistance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • RetroRemix
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thank you, I will do! Will I have to go on TV or be in the newspaper if the DWP doesn't budge? I don't want to do that.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,833 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
     Will I have to go on TV or be in the newspaper if the DWP doesn't budge? I don't want to do that.
    No, not at all. What makes you think this? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RetroRemix
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thank you! It's just that I read about the DWP a lot in the media and people going on the media in front of cameras and in the newspapers to talk about their issue, and I don't want to have to do that. What will happen if my MP cannot resolve the issue?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Usually a local MP gets them shifting. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • RetroRemix
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I wonder why they cannot shift before an MP has to get involved? 

Putting the valid reason of the department being busy aside, they have really had since June of 2022 to get things going or at least close the file. Plenty of time.

Do you know if it will be within my MP's power to also be able to find out the exact reasons and tell me?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's "within their power" but very often DWP do get moving when they are contacted, that's providing your local MP will agree to help and not everyone will. It has been known for some MPs not to be as helpful as others.
    Quite a few years ago i had some issues with some money that DWP owed me and they were being rather stubborn to pay it to me and made me wait several weeks without any form of contact. I contacted my local MP at the time and explained everything that happened. They contacted me back and said they were happy to help me. Less than 24 hours later i had a phone call from DWP decision maker telling me that the money owed would be in my bank in 3 working days.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have heard of people waiting up to 6 months for Carers Allowance. All departments of the DWP are overstretched mainly due to COVID. Unfortunately all you can do is wait. Applications are taking longer to process than normal.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • RetroRemix
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Ahh that's good! My own MP is known for helping people out and is very kind luckily, so I think and hope she might be able to help me out with the DWP for sure. I'll contact her for sure, thank you again Poppy :)

• RetroRemix
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Ok thank you for letting me know of other's waiting times JBS. It's good to know I'm not alone. And I hope this thread also helps others who are waiting this long to not feel alone too. :)

If my file is still not closed by the end of the next week, I'll get in touch with my MP.
  • RetroRemix
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Another update:

Yesterday I got a letter from the Carer's Allowance unit Dated 1st February 2023 in which it says sorry for my loss, it then went on to explain that they have now paid me for the 7 weeks following the passing of my Dad! (He passed away June 2022)

Does this mean finally the wait is over? That the claim is now fully closed? I'm going to ring them to be sure, but does this mean things are going in the right direction?

I didn't have to get in touch with my MP, as I had a gut feeling I should wait a bit longer instead... so I did and this letter arrived!
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for your update @RetroRemix have you been able to ring them since receiving the letter? 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • mucadas123
    mucadas123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I've been waiting for 10 weeks as of today I've rung them up and they saying they waiting for office approval never know it to take so long 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,548 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @mucadas123 and welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear it's taking so long, there's often long waits these days.  I hope you'll not be waiting much longer though. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • mucadas123
    mucadas123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks albus it gives me some reassurance I've sent all relevant documents back to them thought maybe because I have stopped study to look after my dad its taking long 
  • Lisabugsymalone
    Lisabugsymalone Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi my carer applied for ca over 7 weeks ago online.. we received an email confirming this but today 4th April he received a phone call letting him know an application form would be sent by post for him to fill out. I'm dumbfounded as to why they need it via post and can't accept the online application. He was also told a decision would be made in upto 6 weeks, now this is going to add more time onto this initial period..  he has been caring for me since November last year and was informed it could be back dated 3 months only. Has anyone else been asked to do an application form by post after initially applying online?
  • Woodcock21
    Woodcock21 Community member Posts: 48 Connected
    Options
    Me , I applied in November. Had a quick decision and 5 weeks money.
    Then I got a letter asking for 3 months wage slips because mine vary . 
     I've call called them but they won't pay without them. 
    I finally sent these back just before Easter. I called yesterday and they say they haven't got them. ( Takes two weeks to process) 
    What am I meant to live on really. 
    I feel your pain 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.