If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help keeping warm.

Options
nell02
nell02 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Is it true that get electric blanket for myself can be in bed for a few days. And a gillet that’s heats up for my son who has severe CP? Thank you in advance 
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI @nell02 :) Thanks for posting about this. Many of us are trying to find ways to keep warm, especially with the coldest times in winter being on the horizon.

When you ask whether it's true that you can get an electric blanket and a heated gilet, are you asking whether there's financial support available to help with the cost of these items? Or are you asking about something else? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • nell02
    Options
    A friend of mine said that we can apply for them. Apparently it was on the Martian Lewis show. But she didn’t know where to apply. Thank you for your quick response 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,450 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
          My energy company OVO is giving out free electric blankets to certain people so check with your energy provider. Haven't heard about gilets though.
  • nell02
    Options
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,675 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I saw this on the Martin Lewis show as well.  The items weren't free though.  They were suggested as being cheaper to run than central heating.  It's part of Martins 'Heat the human, not the home' advice for people struggling to afford energy at the moment.

Heat the human not the home (moneysavingexpert.com)

Octopus energy were giving away free heated blankets, but the demand has been much higher than they can supply.  There may be other providers and charities that could help with the cost of these items.
  • nell02
    Options
    You guys are so helpful! Thank you for being there.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,122 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm with Octopus energy and i asked for an electric blanket to be sent to me, i was told it was it has been ordered and on it's way. Yes, they also told me that the demand for these is higher than they expected.
    Have a look on your energy suppliers website and there maybe information about some help on there.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    I love my mini electric blanket, doing the job of a hot water bottle and of similar size. I once had motorbike gloves with their own battery heater in them 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your mini electric blanket and motorbike gloves both sound wonderful @newborn :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We are always here for you @nell02. I am really glad to hear we are helping!

Thanks for your feedback, it means a lot to us. If we can do anything else to support you please don't hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.