Not given medical points for housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not given medical points for housing

Options
Nevergiveup2
Nevergiveup2 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone, 
I would like some Advice. 
I was on the housing waiting list when l had my child.On Band B.. 
I'm very over crowded. 
A few years later l unfortunately developed Cancer.
While going through treatment. 
I sent my medical information to the council. 
They appointed me a case worker. 
Who l emailed and to this day.
Never recieved a response. 
I did not expect the council to suddenly give me a home as l had cancer.
 But they refused to give me any additional points to help me on medical grounds. When l challenged them .
The council response was although l was ill and in overcrowded flat.
Their Doctor had assessed as the Flat is ground floor. 
It meant l could get about 
I contacted my local Mp. 
The case work at the time said there behaviour was disgusting and she would  push them.
I had to keep contacting the caseworker. 
When she eventually contacted me she told me she miss placed  my case details. 
The council had basically told her the same thing that they told me.
And her response was if any circumstances change. 
Get back in touch.
I also tried the local councillors who contacted the council. 
The response was l should make a homeless application. 
My question is are the council allowed to do that?
And advice would be welcomed .
And on a positive note.
My bloods are currently showing no signs of cancer.

Thanks everyone x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Band B is the highest band for your situation. If it’s medical you should be housed in anytime up to 2 years. For non medical it can be 2-4 years.
    I don’t know how you can make a homeless application because you’re not homeless. 
    Are you bidding on properties?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options
    As Poppy has already said Band B would already be the highest they can put you in, The wait times vary depending on the council but I very recently moved into a lovely 2 bedroom bungalow after 7 weeks of bidding(I was in Band B Medical) I was expecting it to take a long time, the area is amazing and the bungalow is huge so don’t lose hope
  • Nevergiveup2
    Options
    Hi poppy,
    Thanks for your response 
    I was  already in Band B .Before my diagnosis. 
    I was trying to get the council to move me up higher on Band B 
    Due to my illness. 
    But they refuse.
    The council told me  l was 147th on the waiting list. I don't have option to bid.
    And yes your right, l could not understand why the council would want me to make a homeless application. 
    Infact l told them l do not think physical or mental l could go down that route. 
    After what l had been through.

• Nevergiveup2
    Options
    Thanks luchia,
    And great that you were moved.
    I will not give up hope
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options
    One thing I was told that helps is to bid on properties with 10+ people in front of you as the more failed bids you have each week the higher you go on the list, just make sure they are ones you have no chance of getting(usually it will say your bid position)
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Band B is the highest band for your situation. If it’s medical you should be housed in anytime up to 2 years. For non medical it can be 2-4 years.
    I don’t know how you can make a homeless application because you’re not homeless. 
    Are you bidding on properties?
    How do you know it can be 2-4 years etc? My council waiting list is a lot longer than that. Band 1 is around 12 months, depending on property type, some are waiting much longer and those waiting on 1 beds is usually shorter. Band 2 can be 4+ years depending on size of house etc etc. 

@Nevergiveup so pleased your bloods are showing no signs of cancer atm!! I imagine what they're saying is that the diagnosis alone doesn't show you need a different property. For my area, to claim on medical grounds you need to be able to show that the current property is worsening your medical condition / disability. Have they given you an estimate on when they may have something?? Have you read through criteria for band A in your area and found a way it applies to you? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.