If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and pregnancy

Options
hhad1
hhad1 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Hello my friend is currently pregnant and wishes to seek advice but struggles with online forums and how it all works so thought I'd ask for her. Basically she gets standard rate of £61.85 and at the time of this award worked full time in person at the office, since being pregnant she has struggled with fatigue, sickness and her thyroid disorder has gotten worse, she also recently got told by her Dr she needs to slow down as she appears to be stressed and she's struggling a bit with daily life at the moment and has had to switch to working from home. She was wondering whether its worth notifying/she legally has to notify pip of this change / pregnancy as she is wondering if shell get a higher rate or whether its more likely she could end up getting it taken away altogether. Thank you 

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Pregnancy has nothing to do with PIP. If her Daily Living and Mobility activities have significantly changed (taking away her being pregnant) then a change of circumstances could be considered although I recommend you get expert advice on this beforehand because her award could be taken away all together even if she isn’t due a review yet:

https://advicelocal.uk/
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For a condition to be taken into account for PIP the condition has to have lasted for three months and be expected to continue for another 9 months. Pregnancy clearly can't fit within this timeframe so the impact of pregnancy itself cannot be taken into account.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • hhad1
    Options
    calcotti said:
    For a condition to be taken into account for PIP the condition has to have lasted for three months and be expected to continue for another 9 months. Pregnancy clearly can't fit within this timeframe so the impact of pregnancy itself cannot be taken into account.
    Thank you, I did assume that pregnancy itself would not make any difference but I did not want to risk giving her the wrong advice so thanks for the clarification 
  • hhad1
    Options
    bg844 said:
    Pregnancy has nothing to do with PIP. If her Daily Living and Mobility activities have significantly changed (taking away her being pregnant) then a change of circumstances could be considered although I recommend you get expert advice on this beforehand because her award could be taken away all together even if she isn’t due a review yet:

https://advicelocal.uk/
    I thought as much but wanted to double check as I didn't want to steer her in the wrong direction but thank you for confirming what I already told her would likely be the case
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

You are welcome @hhad1. It is the very least you deserve.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.