Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is Bloke555!....please can anybody give me some advice on how to get my rent benefits la

Bloke555 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, i need some advice!, i rent privately, and im in reciet of universal credit, I've lived in my studio flat for five years now, and when i first moved in i requested that my rent was paid directly to my landlord, however, in those five years my property has needed many disrepair issues to be fixed, but my landlord either ignores, or gets jobs bodged on the cheap, i have been in a dispute with him this past 2 years, i have also been trying to get my housing benefit to be paid back to me, i am in no arrears at all, but my case manager from universal credit will not do this for me, i just want to take back control of my finances, and maybe the fact that i will be in reciet of this benifit, then maybe my landlord might start doing my countless number of disrepair issues, i have requested this change in payment 4 times now, and even though a third party is involved with my disrepair despute ie, private sector housing team, my universal credit case manager keeps refusing me, i can't see why, and i feel like im being discriminated against and victimised.
Please does anyone no what i can do about this??...Thanks in advance.Bloke555.


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I think you could request a Mandatory Reconsideration of the refusal not to pay your housing element to you. What reason has CM given for not doing so?

    Even if you are paid the housing element yourself you will need to pay the landlord. Even if there are issues of disrepair you are not entitled to withhold rent.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,378 Disability Gamechanger
    If the reason you're asking this is to withhold from paying your rent then i wouldn't advise this because you risk making yourself intentionally homeless.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bloke555

    I can see how frustrated you are with your situation. I'm so sorry :( 

    I managed to find some information from Shelter about What to do if your private landlord will not do repairs. Hopefully that gives you some insight. 

    I would also consider writing to your MP. They may be able to connect you with someone who can look at the finances part of your case. 
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.