Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Pick a side!!!

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,984 Disability Gamechanger

Has anyone noticed that with most topics or issues where there are different “factions” with their clashing opinions, you are almost forced to pick a side…and if you don’t, BOTH sides take a disliking to you?

I think of myself as what I call a “moderate” when it comes to my stance on most issues. There are only a handful of issues where I actually take a side.

For example the big issues…

Politics - I don’t consider myself left- or right-wing.

Climate change - I worry about it but at the same time don’t want to go back to the dark ages.

But also the smaller or less important “issues”…

Fireworks - I have a dog and understand fireworks affect animals but I also appreciate fireworks bring joy to a lot of people.

Sports - I rarely support a sports team, I just enjoy watching good play on the part of both sides.

I could go on and on but those are just a few examples.

With all of my examples, if I said to someone on either side that I understand their opinion but also can see the merits of the opposite opinion, they would see me as their opponent.

Has anyone noticed the same? Has it always been like this or is it a modern thing?

Let me know your thoughts! :)

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes.  It seems to happen more on here than any other forum I've been on!!  Haven't worked out why that is yet.  :|

I have older relatives that have done this for as long as I can remember, so I don't think it's a new thing. 

I also don't think it's a generational thing though, as one of my older relatives was very similar to us, in seeing things from both sides and being 'live & let live'.

Honestly, it's one of the reasons I always found speaking difficult from a mental perspective (before physical issues prevented it).  II didn't want to upset other people, but rarely agreed with their single minded view on things.  It's better just to say nothing at all...  Then they complain that you don't speak!  :D
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious

I wasn't meaning in particular that it happens on here (though it does) I just mean everywhere i.e. forums, social media, real life, news, radio call-ins etc.

I am very similar with speaking!! I don't like to upset people so I tend to just nod and smile or give a non-committing answer. In my family I am known as very fair and unbiased but I wonder if thats because I don't have the confidence to speak? Ha ha.

I remember learning back at school about "safe conversation topics" and now I tend to just stick to those when I am at a dinner party or something. If the discussion moves onto politics or anything "unsafe" I will stay quiet. Like you say then you get told off for not speaking lol!!
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,957 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There are some things I feel quite strongly about but I still like hearing other views and can often understand them even if I lean more the other way. I was always called a 'fence sitter' growing up and told it was a bad thing and shows I don't care or don't understand things which I believed for a long time. 

I'm a huge people pleaser which doesn't help! But for most things I'm quite ambivilant or sit in the middle, seeing both sides.

After so long of being told I was useless for not picking sides in things, I heard a song a few years back that really made me feel it was okay to sit on the fence and actually it's a good thing and can mean you know more about a subject!!

This is the chorus:

"This is my song in defence of the fence
    A little sing-along, an anthem to ambivalence
    The more you know, the harder you will find it
    To make up your mind, it doesn't really matter if you find
    You can't see which grass is greener
    Chances are it's neither, and either way it's easier
    To see the difference, when you're sitting on the fence"

• 66Mustang
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @Biblioklept

Thanks for sharing.

I think I am similar. I like hearing both sides of an argument too. I find you learn more. There is a saying along the lines of "I never learnt anything from someone I agreed with"!

Most people I find prefer to talk with like-minded people who share the same opinion and give each other validation. E.g. someone who is racist just likes to talk in a group with other racists. A bit rude but I call what they do a "circle jerk".

I like the song by the way. :)
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I really like that saying, I hadn't heard of it before!! It's very true. 

• 66Mustang
    Options
    I agree @Teddybear12

Just to reiterate though, my thread is not about this website, it's about peoples attitude everywhere in life.

When I wrote my comments I actually had a typical dinner party in mind lol
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I'm starting to think I've missed something on here :D 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Maybe you missed one of my dinner parties @Biblioklept

The last time we went to a restaurant as a large family group is best forgotten!!!!
  • 66Mustang
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Noted @Teddybear12 :) 

In all seriousness this thread is not prompted by anything on here. If there was an argument on here I probably missed it myself because having to avoid any and all conflict including online is part of my issues. Same reason I did not watch the budget just now, I just read about it after, as I can't deal with the insults and arguments and such that are thrown around in parliament!!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,693 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would be boring if everyone had the same opinion, differences are good and sometimes make you think about your own. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    66Mustang said:

The last time we went to a restaurant as a large family group is best forgotten!!!!
    Haha this made me laugh <3  I always thought most families all have the same opinions
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    66Mustang said:

I always thought most families all have the same opinions
    Well we all agreed not to have a pudding if that counts :D 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Better than nothing! And made for a speedier exit I'm sure :D:D 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is that from the Tim Minchin song @Biblioklept? :) 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,109 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think life is a serious of challenges and it's often impossible not to have view(s) that are or appear to be taking sides.
    Two things I would never discuss at a dinner party would be politics and religion even though I have very strong views on both subjects. 🎅🏻

2024 Election won

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One thing I’d never say at a dinner party is how awful the food is! 🤣

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Probably not the best thing to say @leeCal :p
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.