Are you your own cheerleader? 📣 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you your own cheerleader? 📣

Options
Leo_Aces
Leo_Aces Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 104 Courageous
Living with a disability often comes with challenges, like coping with pain, managing daily routine or feeling concerned about the cost of living. Sometimes we fall into the trap of being tough on ourselves, we may self criticise, or regret actions in hindsight. Reflection is helpful for learning how to improve and a good habit to have, however it’s really important to also spend time and energy bolstering ourselves and ensuring that we are on our own side. By being our own cheerleader, we can:  increase self awareness,  increase our confidence with others and feel more comfortable, happy and empowered about our lives and bodies.

So, how do we become our own cheerleader? 📣🗯

🌀 Remind yourself of your journey so far and how much you have had to do to get here.

🌀 Celebrate every win no matter how small it is, take pride in all your achievements.

🌀 Seek out others who are rooting for the same things as you are. Going through something with another person or people who are going through something similar, boosts morale for all.

🌀 Most importantly of all, seek your own approval. It’s easy to to fall into always seeking the approval of others. However the reality is, no matter what we do in life, someone, somewhere will disapprove. When we truly believe in ourselves and feel self assured, the sky is really the limit! 🚀☁️

What do you do to cheer yourself on?

♠️Community Volunteer Advisor ♠️

I’m a Speaker and Life Coach.

I have professional knowledge of Gender Identity & Sexuality  

I coach people with all abilities to guide them to realise their potential and feel empowered 

My background is Person Centred and Transactional therapy 

➡️Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.⬅️

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,818 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nice thread, thanks for sharing. I like what you say r.e. someone somewhere will always disapprove. That is something I have believed for a long time. At first it knocked me back knowing that but when I came to terms with that fact it was a big step forward and I decided it is important just to do things that you approve of; as long as they are not to the detriment of others of course. :)
  • Leo_Aces
    Options
    Very true @66Mustang😊 being on our side is so important. People will say things that knock us back, sometimes without even realising. It’s about developing an unshakable belief 

I coach people with all abilities to guide them to realise their potential and feel empowered 

➡️Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.⬅️

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Leo_Aces, I try as much as I can to be positive but I can't say I'm cheerful tonight as I have been told, this evening, that my Appeal for NHS Continuing Healthcare has been rejected. I'm going to carry on the fight, because I believe I'm in the right, but I wish I didn't have a constant fight on my hands about various issues, including not having enough Care Hours, despite being confined to my bedroom, unable to walk.

Since 2016 I have embarked on an Art Project. I did it to cheer myself up and, I have to say, I never knew that I was such a good artist! It's been great to discover discover that about myself.
    I've also written a book of short stories and began on a new book recently. 
    I'd love to get my books published but I've been put off by some very snobbish publishers!

A few months ago I self-published a Booklet about one of my canvasses. That particular canvas and 200 copies of my Booklet I donated to a museum to boost their income.

I've been unable to work on my canvasses for the last year, as my health has deteriorated a lot. 
    I do feel rather isolated and have now reached a point of wondering if things will ever go right for me, especially after tonight's rejection... 
  • Leo_Aces
    Options
    Evening @Oxonlady, first of all, I'm very sorry that you didn't receive the outcome from CHC that you were hoping for. That's great that you have determination to fight for what you need. 

Creative activities are such a great way to boost our inner cheerleader! It sounds like you’ve discovered, we can often be surprised by our inner talents. Writing can especially be a great outlet.  

I’m very sorry to hear that you’re feeling isolated. Perhaps you could consider whether your skills as a writer can help you connect with others ♠️

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.