Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Would I be able to apply for PIP and maybe reduce my hours to part time?

Options
Cubbs
Cubbs Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited November 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi guys I am new so might be posting in the wrong place.

I am in full time employment but people keep on telling me to apply for PIP.

I have been profoundly deaf for 37 years, wear a hearing aid and a bone anchored hearing aid. I have also been diagnosed with asthma due to long covid and very recently osteoarthritis. I love my job but I find I'm struggling more and more with it. Do any of you think I would be able to apply for PIP and maybe reduce my hours to part time . Thanks

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    PIP has nothing to do with work. People receiving PIP may not be working at all or maybe working full time.

PIP is awarded based on the difficulties you have carrying out the PIP activities reliably. Whether or not you work is irrelevant.

https://www.advicenow.org.uk/know-hows/personal-independence-payment-pip-activities-and-descriptors

If you are earning less you can look at entitlement to UC based on your financial circumstances.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cubbs
    Options
    Thanks Calcotti 
  • yanni
    yanni Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Options

@Cubbs

I get PIP with severe-profound hearing loss.

You need 8 points across the Daily Living activities for a standard daily living award and 12 points for an enhanced daily living award and / or 8 -12 points across the Mobility activities for a standard / enhanced mobility award:

Communicating

2 points are awarded for needing a hearing aid(s). As you probably have difficulty reliably understanding what is being said even when wearing your hearing aids you should get either 4 points for needing communication support to understand complex verbal information or 8 points for needing communication support to understand basic verbal information (The DWP gives an example of “I came home today” as a basic verbal sentence). You basically need to show that you can't understand speech well enough on your own, when wearing hearing aids, so you need communication support to help you.

You don’t need to actually have this help, you have to need this help  in order to do the activity reliably (safely, in a reasonable time, repeatedly and to an acceptable standard) at least 50% of the time you attempt the relevant PIP activity.

Communication support is defined as a person helping you and can be a friend or family member or anyone experienced in helping you with communicating. 

I would start by making a list / diary giving  examples of when you had difficulty understanding what people were saying when wearing your hearing aids:

Include examples where you didn’t realise someone was talking to you (maybe someone else had to tell you the speaker was trying to speak to you)

Where you thought you understood what was said but later you or someone else realised you had misunderstood (record what you heard and what was actually said) Great one today - I heard "early idols" as "early eyeballs"   :smile:

Where you weren’t able to understand what was said even after asking the speaker to repeat / clarify what they were saying (record what you think they said, what you did to try to understand them - I asked them to repeat what they said, I asked if they said X or Y but still couldn’t work out which one they were saying etc - and how it ended - I nodded and pretended I heard what they said, they wrote it down for me etc).  

If someone else was present did they have to help you - by repeating what was said themselves, telling you later what was said, stepping in because they realised you had misheard etc?

Think about the impact of distance and position- how near to the speaker did you need to be before you could understand them? Can you understand the speaker if they have their back to you or if they are beside you in a vehicle or walking down the street together? Across a meeting table? When work gathers together in a group announcement can you understand the speaker or are they too far away? Do you need the speaker to be on your 'better' side? What happens if they are on your 'bad' side?

Also the effect of background noise - other people talking, music, TV, traffic etc - on your ability to understand speech. Hearing aids amplify all sounds not just those you want to hear. 

Different voices - do you have trouble understanding male, female, child or elderly voices? Voices with different accents to your own?

Lipreading is not supposed to be taken into account with the communication activity.

For example if you need to see the speaker’s lips and face to understand a basic sentence (I came home today) you are deemed not to be able to understand a basic verbal sentence reliably and so a higher description should be applied to you.  Difficulty understanding what is said if the speaker is not looking at you, difficulty using the phone and / or difficulty understanding someone wearing a face mask suggests that you need to lipread in order to understand what is being said.

As hearing tests are done without hearing aids in, my hearing test results were not much use except to confirm the level of my unaided hearing loss. So I wrote a statement listing the kind of difficulties I encountered (as above) and asked the audiology department to tick if they agreed these difficulties were reasonable for someone with my level of hearing loss to have (along with a letter explaining why I wanted it and a stamped addressed envelope). Obviously they can’t say you definitely have these problems as they don’t see you in your everyday life but it gives some ‘medical evidence’ that the difficulties you have are reasonable given your level of hearing loss / deafness. (This was pre-Covid and there is no guarantee the audiology department can / will do this for you but it is worth a try.)

If you don’t already have one, request a copy of your latest hearing test and ask them to write your level of hearing loss in each ear (eg profound) on it.

Washing and bathing

If you have to remove your hearing aids when washing and bathing and you won’t hear a smoke alarm without your hearing aids in, you should get 2 points for needing supervision for this activity on safety grounds (you wouldn’t know the smoke alarm was going off so would be unaware of a fire.

Engaging with others

You can’t get points for not being able to communicate when engaging with other people but if your hearing loss causes you anxiety (for example about mishearing something and looking foolish in front of others) you can get points for this. Needing prompting to engage with others would give you 2 points. In the same way as for communicating, give some examples of what happened, who was there, the consequences etc.

Mobility - planning and following a journey

If there are issues with road safety (not hearing vehicles approaching out of your line of sight etc) and / or issues with being able to communicate in order to buy a ticket, confirm you are on the right bus / bus stop / platform and /or to sort out unexpected problems (understanding information about a diversion, cancellation, delay, change of platform etc on public transport, communicating with breakdown service mechanic if your car goes wrong) then you can get 10 or 12 points for needing someone else with you on a familiar or unfamiliar journey. Again give real life examples of what happened, where were you, did anyone have to help you, what were the consequences.

Length of award

Make it clear that your hearing loss is permanent and ask for an ongoing (10 year) award.

If you do apply please come back and let us know how you got on.

• Cubbs
    Options
    Wow,Yanni thank you for your advice. I relate to a lot of what you have mentioned. I will certainly look into it. I do have a lot of issues but I think I have just programmed myself to manage. I dont know how many times I have almost been flattened by a car. I can only understand people if they talk directly to my face, everything else is a struggle. I also feel after 30 plus years I need to reduce my stress of constantly trying to fit in with conversations. Thanks very much 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds difficult that you have had to programme yourself to manage @Cubbs. How are you managing at the moment? 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Toby2007
    Toby2007 Community member Posts: 37 Listener
    Options
    Hi 
    I got got enhanced daily living and standard mobility for my profoundly deafness my award was for 4 years but my hearing loss is permanent it will never get any better could I ask them to consider a ongoing award for 10 years 
    If I do this could they reduce my award 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,151 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Toby2007 said:
    Hi 
    I got got enhanced daily living and standard mobility for my profoundly deafness my award was for 4 years but my hearing loss is permanent it will never get any better could I ask them to consider a ongoing award for 10 years 
    If I do this could they reduce my award 

If the decision on that was made less than 13 months ago you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) for just the length of the award only. You need to make sure you tell them that you're happy with the award itself.

You need to tell them why you think you should have been awarded for a longer length of time. If you're also going to challenge the mobility part then you need to tell them why you think you should have been awarded Enhanced mobility and where and why you think you should have scored those points.

Only about 23% of MR decisions change in the claimants favour. It's rare to lose points at this stage but it can happen. If the decision doesn't change you can proceed to Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Toby2007
    Options
    Thanks poppy 
    I am happy with my award 4 years isn't too bad I just thought my hearing won't get any better and that it's permanent and thought I would get an ongoing award 
    Probably when I have a review I got told it go's straight to a decision maker first instead of the assessor 
    As nothing will have changed and will need the help I get today 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,151 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes for reviews the forms go straight to the decision maker first. However, you should make sure that you treat it as a new claim. Even if there's been no changes, you should never just put "no change" and nothing else added. Doing this you're putting your existing award at risk.

Even for reviews, most people have assessments. Paper based assessments are still rare but can happen.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Toby2007
    Options
    Thank you poppy much appreciated 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.