If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Student Benefit. Does anyone have experience of claiming UC as a disabled student?

Options
pkeith95
pkeith95 Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
edited November 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello,  I am a full time student at University, I wonder if anyone has had any experience of claiming Universal Credit as a disabled student?

Is it possible? a nightmare?
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,058 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Full time students are unable to claim UC unless they have already been found to have Limited capability for work before the course started. This also applies to disabled students. Full details here. https://askcpag.org.uk/content/207854/universal-credit-and-disabled-students-an-update
    Most students receive students loans, are you not claiming this?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pkeith95
    pkeith95 Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Poppy, Thank you for your reply. Yes I am getting my student loan, I am just looking into cost of living and what extra help there might be.

Thank you again.

PJ
  • Grizzy77
    Grizzy77 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi pkeith95, 
    I am a full-time student in receipt of a postgraduate master's loan and I get universal credit (I've just received my first payment). You might be able to claim universal credit because there are some exceptions for students. You can claim if:
    • You are under 21, taking  a course that leads to a qualification at the same level as or below A levels (such as Scottish Highers, National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ) up to level 3) and you do not and cannot live with your parents; or
    • You are responsible for a child; or
    • You get Attendance AllowanceDisability Living Allowance (DLA)Personal Independence Payment (PIP)Adult Disability Payment or Child Disability Payment and you have limited capability for work. (This can be complicated. Use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local adviser); or
    • You are over Pension Credit age; or
    • You live with a partner who can claim Universal Credit; or
    • You have taken time out from your course for illness or caring responsibilities, are now recovered/your caring responsibilities have ended, and you are waiting to go back to your course.
    In my case I have children and my partner can claim UC (we are claiming as a couple). I am not required to look for work or do any work-related activities. Hope that helps.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Grizzy77 said:
    In my case I have children and my partner can claim UC (we are claiming as a couple). I am not required to look for work or do any work-related activities. Hope that helps.

That will be because you live with a partner and have children on your claim. If you're receiving a maintenance loan are UC aware of this? It will be counted as income and affect your entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hi @pkeith95 :) Are you enjoying your studies?

Have you looked into claiming the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA), or PIP? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Full time students are unable to claim UC unless they have already been found to have Limited capability for work before the course started. This also applies to disabled students. Full details here. https://askcpag.org.uk/content/207854/universal-credit-and-disabled-students-an-update
    Most students receive students loans, are you not claiming this?

I should have included "if you are single with no dependant children" in this advice. Apologies for not doing this.
  • Grizzy77
    Grizzy77 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi Poppy,
    I get a postgraduate loan, unlike the undergraduate student loan, it includes both maintenance and tuition fees. UC does take a percentage of it into account when calculating our entitlement.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.