What are your shopping list staples? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are your shopping list staples?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2022 in Coffee lounge
I often think of myself as quite a bad shopper. I buy a lot of convenience food, and do multiple small shops a week. 

This can mean that I sometimes get embarrassed about what's in my basket. I see other people's and think they must have their life together! (I realise this is unlikely to be true...). I feel this especially when they have what I'd consider to be 'staples' in their basket.

What are your shopping list staples? What kinds of things do you buy most weeks or months?

Note: I don't think of anyone else as a bad shopper, and don't negatively judge other people on what's in their baskets!
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
Tagged:

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Cornflakes, tuna, marmite, whole meal bread, milk, cauliflower, apples, ryvita. That kind of stuff. 🙂 I’m on a diet you see.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,817 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Milk and bread
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Vegetables and fruit
    Cooked meats

I don't know what a "good" or a "bad" shopper is? What makes someone "better" at shopping?
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    don't negatively judge other people on what's in their baskets!
    This made me think..I sometimes look at what's in peoples baskets..I noticed a man a few years ago that looked like he had had a hard life - he had all the absolute cheapest products in his basket but he had posh cat food - I judged him for that but in a positive way, very selfless I thought?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Milk , cheese,  butter,  yoghurt , fruit and veg , meat and fish , bread , cerel , bacon,  cookies ready meals for tobg
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I think for me, I feel that I'm not very cost effective in my shopping @66Mustang. And it's not always the healthiest, either. 

I'm not sure there's an objectively 'bad' shop, as it'll really depend on people's situations! But I think I could do a lot better.

It's hard to explain :D 

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Milk, bread, eggs, cheese, potatoes, meat, veg and fruit, water and some goodies and not forgetting the crisps and coffee
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Tori_Scope ahh if you go by getting bargains or getting stuff on offer then yes I am a good shopper!! But if something that I want is full price I sometimes don't buy it which is perhaps not wise.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's lists so far!

I also try to buy stuff on offer @66Mustang :) And tend to buy own brand stuff where I can. I do have some branded bits that I tend to buy, though!

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @Tori_Scope you could try keeping a stock of certain things that are not perishable. Buy more than you need when they are on offer, then in the weeks or months that they aren't on offer, don't buy them and live off of your supply. Rather than just buying what you need each week/month.

I think my biggest mistake is driving to shops because they have something cheaper there. I probably spend more getting to the shops than I save. But I justify that in that I enjoy the drive and it's something to do.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I do tend to stock up on some things, but I'm quite limited with space @66Mustang. I agree that's a great tip though! And it's definitely something I'll do when I (hopefully) have more space in the future :) 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Top of our list vodka for sm and chocolates/puddings for me 👀
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I'd say I'm a pretty bad shopper. I do it all online and have a weekly shop and then order from the local shops a couple of times a week too because I never remember what I need or can't manage to make what I'd planned. I eat a lot of convenience foods and I don't know why it's so hard for me to structure my food shopping and meals but it really is. I'd be horrified if anyone saw what I spend on food each month especially with the addition of delivery fees etc
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that with us @Biblioklept. I am hearing that, another way to look at that is that you respond to your needs at the time.

Am I hearing that right? If so, I think that's very positive that you recognise and take account of your own needs. Though, I can hear that makes it more costly  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine Your response made me chuckle and smile  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.