If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Double check: Housing Element

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 642 Pioneering
Hello,

I had to put a claim into UC last year to cover my rent costs and I was awarded housing element. I was asked what was my relationship to the person I’m living with and I said friend. This is true, we are friends. 

However we were ex-partners, not married and we have lived separate lives since and I’m with a new partner. 

I’m still a bit worried that I should have told them we were ex-partners, as sometimes they like to prove you’re single etc and come round to check etc. 

Is is true?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,255 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I remember another thread of yours asking the same question. I believe you already proved that they are just your friend. Lots of people live together and aren't in relationship, it's nothing to worry about. As you said yourself, you have a new partner now.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bluefox
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I remember another thread of yours asking the same question. I believe you already proved that they are just your friend. Lots of people live together and aren't in relationship, it's nothing to worry about. As you said yourself, you have a new partner now.
    Well, at the time of asking, yes I was in a relationship with someone else and I still am with that person. So on my form I did identify the person I’m living with as a ‘friend’ for UC purposes. However, nobody from the benefits agency came round to check etc. So I don’t know if technically I proved that. 

However, the DEA at my local job centre has actually met my current partner and myself. 

Other than that I have spoken to welfare rights and they don’t see a particular issue with what I put down on my claim form. If we are not in a relationship, it does not matter if we are ex-partners. Apparently. 

I don’t know? What should I do?
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2022
    Options
    You were advised correctly by Welfare Rights and you don't need to do anything.
      However, nobody from the benefits agency came round to check etc.

They wouldn't actually come to your home to check. As you said yourself, you're not in a relationship with the person, so you don't need to do anything.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bluefox
    Options
    You were advised correctly by Welfare Rights and you don't need to do anything.
      However, nobody from the benefits agency came round to check etc.

They wouldn't actually come to your home to check. As you said yourself, you're not in a relationship with the person, so you don't need to do anything.
    Welfare Rights advised me in a funny way actually saying it is none of their business who you previously dated, so long as you don’t live with a current partner for housing element. 

And they have actually seen ex partners living together for care reasons (which is a bit suspicious I guess?) but perfectly acceptable. 

I’ve also been involved with a local team, and one of their members, worked for the DWP and he says there shouldn’t be any issues whatsoever. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can hear that you were advised in a funny way @bluefox. How are you feeling about this and things more generally at the moment?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • bluefox
    Options
    Hi @L_Volunteer

Thank you for asking. 

I am still feeling very stressed about the benefits. Even more so stressed that I can’t work. I just don’t want to get into trouble for anything especially with the way my mental state is. My mental health conditions, non-epileptic/FND and chronic pain, it’s beginning to eat away at my soul. It’s also been incredibly frustrating for my family, friends and partner who don’t get to see me anymore or have to run errands for me. 

I am finding some time in the day to make time for something other than focusing on my worries but it’s a small window. 

As I said, my biggest concerns are benefits right and wrongs and the challenges of employment/dismissal and then future employment. Tough, tough, tough. 

• poppy123456
    Options
    You have been advised from Welfare Rights and from here, a few times. Living with your Ex partner will not affect your benefits entitlement because you are no longer a couple. Lots of people live under the same roof but not as a couple and continue to claim their own benefits as single people.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.