If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP from start to finish???

Options
alaskajade1987
alaskajade1987 Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
I have been confirmed unfit to work and placed on LCWRA… now I have got my head around that,  i have been advised that  I should apply for PIP. I did think that I wouldn’t be eligible for it though as I am on LCWRA and universal credit but I have found that to be untrue so now I have taken steps to start the ball rolling.,..
So last Monday I rung up and requested a form to be sent to me, which I am waiting on.., I would like to know if there is anything I should be preparing for, or any tips  for my assessment?? I have done one of those self assessment PIP online forms which gives you only an IDEA of how many points I score… and I am around the 16 to 17 points…( I am realistic that the assessors may have a completely different view of my illness though.)
So within this community I would like to ask any of you guys that have been awarded PIP ,how long the whole thing took (ROUGHLY). And do I need to start collecting evidence from my doctor and my friend that assist’s me with day to day living?? I just want to be prepared for this as the research I have done tells me that this particular benefit is no picnic, and it seems an  extraordinarily long wait for a conclusion from them so I just want to be prepared 🙏 any help will be hugely appreciated 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,246 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    First thing i should say is, i wouldn't advise anyone to use the PIP self test because it's one of the mosy unreliable things to use unless you completely understand the PIP descriptors and what they mean, very few people do. It's always very helpful to have a better understanding of the descriptors and what they mean before you start filling in the forms, have a read of this. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
    You can use the evidence you used for the WCA. However, do remember that PIP isn't about your ability to work.
    You can start to write things down before you receive the forms. You can see a sample for here, which will give you a head start so you will know what questions will be asked. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/713118/pip2-how-your-disability-affects-you-form.pdf
    When filling out the forms you should include a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each activity that applies to you. Adding detailed information such as where you were, what exacetly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. You should aim for at least half an A4 side of paper per descriptor that applies.
    Letters from GPs aren't the best evidence to send, some people find letters from people that know them well are helpful but personal i've never done that.
    Timescales could be several months from applying to having a decision especially with Christmas so close.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.