Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Income support review

Ljo26 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Does anyone know how often you can go abroad with the 4 weeks income support holiday allowance, I receive this with carers because of my sons disabilities.
I went for 3 weeks last October and for 2 weeks in April this year and now have a review, panicking it’s because of that and I’m going to get thrown on UC .
thanks in advance 👋 


  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    There are no limits on the number of short-term periods abroad. As long as each absence is temporary and they continue to satisfy the conditions of entitlement to Income Support, then they remain entitled to Income Support. You should however inform them when you go away for a long period like 3 weeks.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,990 Disability Gamechanger
    I think the longest time abroad at anyone time is either 28 days or 1 month i can't remember which it is for Income Support. As you were away for less than this each time then your IS will not be affected.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ljo26
    Ljo26 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks for those answers, very reassuring, 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    You are welcome @Ljo26. It is the very least you deserve.

    Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.