If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of circumstances - worsening health/new health conditions

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
Hello,

I am just wondering and I don’t know if it is correct but I’ve been told by a few friends on Twitter that if you have new conditions or worsening conditions then the DWP go mad that you didn’t tell them before ESA/PIP reviews. 

Is this true?

My FND has got worse in the sense that I have things like tics, tremors etc and chronic pain. Also been diagnosed with ADHD, suspected autism etc. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh dear, you should ignore what these people are advising you because in your case it is not correct. For your ESA/UC then you're already in Support Group/LCWRA and this is the highest award you can have so reporting changing for a worsening of condition will be a waste of your time.
    For PIP It's not about a diagnosis and a worsening of condition doesn't automatically mean you're entitled to more points.
    Those friends need to do some research to gain more knowledge in the benefits system before they advise people. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bluefox
    Options
    What about new conditions for ESA?

I know depression & anxiety are a very common comorbidity of ADHD but would it be worthwhile now doing that change of circumstances for both to add ADHD and other conditions to give the DWP a view of how my conditions and new conditions are impacting my ability to work and live daily?

The ADHD might actually enhance my award as tbh I’ve got worse and I could potentially score more points. But I could also lose the award too with an awful assessor. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    bluefox said:
    What about new conditions for ESA?

As advised..
    For your ESA/UC then you're already in Support Group/LCWRA and this is the highest award you can have so reporting changing for a worsening of condition will be a waste of your time.

bluefox said:

I know depression & anxiety are a very common comorbidity of ADHD but would it be worthwhile now doing that change of circumstances for both to add ADHD and other conditions to give the DWP a view of how my conditions and new conditions are impacting my ability to work and live daily?

The ADHD might actually enhance my award as tbh I’ve got worse and I could potentially score more points. But I could also lose the award too with an awful assessor. 

No because you're already in the Support Group. You do not need to report a worsening of condition or new conditions.
    Enhance your award? I don't understand what you mean by this, i've already advised you have the highest award you can have. This applies to your ESA and UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bluefox
    Options
    With my conditions getting worse in regards to FND and chronic pain, would it not be worthwhile updating them? As they don’t know about my other health issues
  • poppy123456
    Options
    bluefox said:
    With my conditions getting worse in regards to FND and chronic pain, would it not be worthwhile updating them? As they don’t know about my other health issues

As advised previously.

No because you're already in the Support Group. You do not need to report a worsening of condition or new conditions.

Therefore there's nothing to report.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @bluefox. Thanks for finding the courage to reach out to us. I appreciate it can take quite a lot of courage to reach out, especially when you are finding things difficult.

I can see @poppy123456 has already responded to your thread. Do you feel these responses have already provided you with the support you were looking for?

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need any further clarity or support. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.