Council tax reduction /housing benefit/discretionary housing payments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council tax reduction /housing benefit/discretionary housing payments

Options
TaraHeart
TaraHeart Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi there, I’ve just moved house. From living alone in a 2 bed, to my son moving with me into a 3 bed. He will help care for me along with my daughter who stays regularly to help me shower(so she stays in the 3rd bedroom).
I am about to make an application for discretionary housing payments to the council as the rent is considerably more, but I needed the move for health reasons and my children can help me more.
How will this affect the council tax rebate,will my son (he works from home)be a disregarded person as he helps care for me?
How Will this affect my housing benefit?
I receive UC and the housing element, and enhanced PIP for daily living and mobility.
Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    There will be no non dependent deductions for your housing element because of your PIP daily living award.
    You will need to report the changes for moving on your journal. 
    You can apply for a DHP through your local Authority but there’s no guarantee that you will receive it and if you do it’s only paid for a short period of time. 
    For council tax reduction there’s a carers discount but you will need to speak to your local Authority regarding this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    The amount of help you get from UC to pay your rent should increase because you are now eligible for two bedrooms (because your son lives with you) rather than one. You need to sort that out before applying for a DHP because you don’t know what the shortfall is so you don’t know what you are asking for. 

In general, I would not expect the local authority to award a DHP if you moved into a property which you could not afford. Even if granted a DHP is usually only for a short period of time.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:

In general, I would not expect the local authority to award a DHP if you moved into a property which you could not afford. Even if granted a DHP is usually only for a short period of time.
    Just to add to this, there could also be issues because the son is working and they could say that the son should pay the shortfall, if there is any. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TaraHeart
    TaraHeart Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Many thanks for the replies, very helpful in the maze of benefit land. Will see what they have to offer. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @TaraHeart. It is the very least you deserve. 

I can hear how confusing it is in the maze of benefit land. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.