If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Advanced payment

Options
Amazonianup
Amazonianup Community member Posts: 43 Connected
Hello all,
I can't really afford to heat my home it gets cold even with heating on due to heatloss.  Will uc give me and advanced payment so I can get a portable solar battery? I use minimum heating infact if just turned it or recently for rads. Cold is uncomfortable, but I tolerate it well since roughsleeping, I have a proper sleeping bag If necessary. I have been to scared to turn it on but my credit obviously won't last long with what i saved. My electricity is getting higher although I'm using led lights I can charge up at cafes etc..  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you’ve been claiming UC or any other means tested benefits for at least 6 months then you can ask for a budgeting advance but you will need to repay this back from future UC payments. 
    If you’re a single person without children the most you can ask for is £348, providing you don’t have any other outstanding budgeting advance loans. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/on-universal-credit/budgeting-advance/
    If you’re named on an energy account (electric) the government are giving £66/67 per month energy rebate. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Amazonianup
    Amazonianup Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    Options
    Thanks. Does this energy rebate appear on meters reflected in price? Or is it deducted after? I mainly used tv, phone charge, tablet, washing machine, no lights and didn't use oven for long time. Main cost was washing electricity on meter or oven but with depression I didn't use it alot. I can see my meter readings are daily up higher now. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It depends on how you pay for your energy. If you have a prepayment electric meter then you should receive vouchers or a credit added to your meter.
    Smart prepayment meter the credit will be added directly to your meter.
    If you pay by monthly DD then it will either be paid straight onto your energy account and they will reduce your DD by that amount. Or then will keep your DD as it is and refund you the £66/67 into your bank.
    You should have been contacted by your energy supplier telling you how they will pay it.
    Please note that you will only receive this if you're named on the electric account.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.