If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am on ESA, If I apply for housing will I be put on Universal Credit ?

Options
2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    All of this was explained to you in a previous thread. Except there was no mention of the amount of ESA you were receiving in that thread. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/92101/30-years-old-and-want-to-look-at-getting-my-own-place-what-is-the-first-thing-i-need-to-do#latest
    Poppy, I hadn’t spotted the previous discussion of these issues five months ago!

The only policy change is the four year delay to managed migration date for ESA claimants.

It only just came to my mind and then i looked back, as you know i'm usually good at doing that but slipped up this time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Bpositive91How are things for you at the moment? Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need any further clarity or support  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Bpositive91
    Bpositive91 Community member Posts: 57 Connected
    Options
    @Bpositive91How are things for you at the moment? Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need any further clarity or support  :)

Hi, 
    I still have some questions about moving, So do I apply for UC now so that I can claim housing, or do I stay on ESA until a place becomes available for me and then apply for UC?

thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options

Hi, 
    I still have some questions about moving, So do I apply for UC now so that I can claim housing, or do I stay on ESA until a place becomes available for me and then apply for UC?

thanks
    You keep asking the same questions and we are going round in circles.
    You haven’t answered my question that I previously asked.
    Does your mum claim a disability benefit herself such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As poppy says we are going round in circles and simply repeating stuff. We have discussed this in detail already.

If you get SDP in your ESA then, if you will still be living alone, you should move and claim
    UC afterwards.

If you don’t get SDP then you would expect to be better off on UC now.

The amount of ESA you say you get indicates that you do get SDP. Poppy and asked whether or not your mum gets a disability benefit to clarify if you are entitled to SDP but you have ignored the question.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bpositive91
    Options
    calcotti said:
    As poppy says we are going round in circles and simply repeating stuff. We have discussed this in detail already.

If you get SDP in your ESA then, if you will still be living alone, you should move and claim
    UC afterwards.

The amount of ESA you say you get indicates that you do get SDP. Poppy and asked whether or not your mum gets a disability benefit to clarify if you are entitled to SDP but you have ignored the question.

calcotti said:

UC afterwards.

I apologize, I must have overlooked it previously sorry about that.

Yes my Mum does get PIP for herself also.

SO can I apply for housing now while I claim ESA, and when a place come up I should then apply to UC or should I still be claiming ESA when I move into a place of my own ?

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bpositive91 said: SO can I apply for housing now while I claim ESA, and when a place come up I should then apply to UC or should I still be claiming ESA when I move into a place of my own ?
    The latter.

If you claim UC now you will get less money than on UC than you currently get and then when you move and ask for help with rent  and the help with rent added it will wipe out the SDP protection.

Therefore you should still be claiming ESA when you move. Then you will already be liable for rent and still getting SDP at the time you claim UC which means you will get both help with rent and SDP protection.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As i mentioned in your previous thread when you asked about moving out. It may not be as easy as you think to find somewhere to live, so delaying moving to UC until you move into your place is definitely the right thing to do.
  • Bpositive91
    Options

Hi, 

thanks
    You keep asking the same questions and we are going round in circles.
    You haven’t answered my question that I previously asked.
    Does your mum claim a disability benefit herself such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance? 

I am so sorry Poppy, I must have overlooked this earlier, IDK if I am coming or going, my apologies.

Yes my Mum get's PIP for herself 

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please try not to apologise @Bpositive91. We all make mistakes - especially when things are really tough and you don't know if you are coming or going.

I am really hoping @poppy123456, Calcotti, or someone else is able to support you with this. In the meantime, we are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not necessarily 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.