If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance

Options
Bethjaneb
Bethjaneb Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi need some help... my daughter became my carer back in May she made a claim and received a backdated payment at the beginning of September but she's not heard anything since and not received anymore payments. Is this the norm? Does she just have to wait now or does she need to contact the DWP? 

Comments

• RetroRemix
    RetroRemix Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hi Bethjaneb,

I'm just wondering, did she also get a CA letter saying her claim was successful and the amount she will get? or did she just get the backdated payment put into her account without any letter being sent? 
  • Bethjaneb
    Options
    She had the letter about the back payment and she didn't start college until September and her tutor had to fill out the form which she sent back the second week of September. I'm just not sure if she should just wait or contact DWP? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is she a fill time student? If so then usually they are unable to claim CA. In May when she applied was she a full time student at that time? https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
    Either way, she needs to ring Carers allowance.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bethjaneb
    Options
    Yes but they did it from when she finished school and she's only at college part time and helping me the rest of the time. I think I just need her to call them. Thank you
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Most students are only in college part time. If the course is classed as full time then they could be issues with her receiving CA payments going forward.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bethjaneb
    Options
    Ok thank you for the help and the advice  :)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Just as an after thought, are you the only 2 adults at home? If so is she disregard for council tax so you’re claiming single person discount because she’s a student? 
  • Bethjaneb
    Options
    No unfortunately but at the moment she is the only person who is able to help me as my partner is working long hours and we have 2 little people aswell
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The eligibility criteria is what it is. Please ask her to ring them as the letter may have been sent but gone missing.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.