If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council Tax Rebate Council Wants To See Bank Account can I trust them

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 499 Pioneering
I have enquiried about claiming some rebate on my council tax as i have been informed i may be entitled to a rebate, but they have said as part of the process they need to see a bank statement.

I would like to know what that is and if they can be trusted. With all the scams going on at the moment, i am a bit concerned about sharing my private details, and worried how they will be stored

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,812 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's one of those cases that if you want the benefit you jump through the hoops, you could take it in too the council to avoid posting it, and you could then ask them which bits you could put a felt tip pen through.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Golden12
    Golden12 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    council tax 
    I pay full wack with a longterm disability it’s a rip off. More than welcome to join guys.
    I think there should be a review on council tax or a review. personally any person who has a longterm disability should be disregarded or a discount applied  as it’s unfairly.and all councils should be altogether making the same decisions.As a disabled person VAT is Free and other…. 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Golden12 said:
    council tax 
    I pay full wack with a longterm disability it’s a rip off. More than welcome to join guys.
    I think there should be a review on council tax or a review. personally any person who has a longterm disability should be disregarded or a discount applied  as it’s unfairly.and all councils should be altogether making the same decisions.As a disabled person VAT is Free and other…. 
    I`m sorry, but I disagree with the bit I`ve highlighted.  You use council services therefore you should have to pay for them.  Nobody, self included, likes Council Tax but it`s one of those necessary evils.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.