Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

UC work allowance

Edingirl40 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi all, 

Another random question - everyone else I know on UC has a work allowance. But mine doesn't - whys this? Literally everyone on UC I know has it.

Any ideas why I don't? 

Sorry to ask another stupid question :{ 


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    You get a Work Allowance if you have children on the claim or have been found to have LCW or LCWRA.

    The WA means that some of any earnings are ignored. If nobody on the claim is working the WA has no value,

    more information
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,055 Disability Gamechanger
    As explained in your other thread here
    had you claimed UC while you were still claiming ESA then you would have been entitled to the work allowance and LCWRA element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger

    Hi @Edingirl40. Thanks for reaching out to us and asking such a great question.

    I don’t believe there is such a thing as a stupid question! I can see Calcotti and @poppy123456 have already responded to your post though.

    Do you feel your question has been answered through these responses? Please don’t hesitate to let us know if we can provide any further clarification or support.

    We are all here for you and listening to you. You don’t have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don’t want to  :)

    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.