If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is mhuss19! Is CHC taxable?

Options
mhuss19
mhuss19 Scope Member Posts: 7 Listener

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @mhuss19

Welcome to the community! :)

How are you today?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • mhuss19
    Options
    I am good thank you. I want a bit of advice on NHS CHC funding as I am under shared lives scheme with Liverpool local authority and my social worker has suggested that I try and apply for CHC but I wanted to know a bit more about how it would affect me and my mum in terms of our finances as I get high rate pip and I am on universal credit and my mum gets income support and carer’s allowance for my sisters and she’s self employed. Would CHC affect either of our finances ?

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Glad to hear you are good @mhuss19. I can hear that you want a bit of advice on NHS CHC funding and how it would affect you and your mum in terms of your finances.

This is understandable and sounds like a lot to process in terms of the potential impact on other financings for you and your mum.

Unfortunately, NHS CHC is not an area of my expertise. This means I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can respond to you soon.

In the meantime, I have found the following information:

Continuing Healthcare Funding is not means tested; meaning that it doesn't matter what your income is or what savings you have, if you meet the criteria, you are entitled to free NHS CHC funding. 
    You should not be asked any questions about your financial situation and social services should not complete any financial assessments until the NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding Assessment has been completed. If an individual's needs are primary health needs or long term, they are entitled to NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding to meet the cost of their care in full, whatever their financial situation.
    I have also found the following information, which relates more closely to the benefits you have mentioned: 

Even if you are in receipt of NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding, you may still be able to claim additional benefits from the Government. Here's a helpful summary of 14 extra benefits you may be entitled to claim. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list, but includes:
    1. Attendance Allowance
    2. Bereavement Allowance
    3. Bereavement Support Payment 
    4. Carer's Allowance
    5. Deferred Payment Arrangements 
    6. NHS-funded Nursing Care
    7. Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
    8. Pension Credit
    9. Personal Independence Payment
    10. Warm Home Discount Scheme
    11. Winter Fuel Payment 
    12. Cold Weather Payment
    13. The 12-Week Property Disregard
    14. Universal Credit 

I hope this is at least semi-helpful. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can provide further clarity or support.

We are all here for you to support you and listen to you  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • mhuss19
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hi
    thank you so much for your responding it was really helpful. I am wondering if anyone knows if CHC is taxable or not as this may affect my mum?
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.