Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Waiting for tribunal hearing about WCA decision

Options
brandon1999
brandon1999 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
edited November 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi,
I recently posted my situation regarding my appeal to the tribunal about my WCA being rejected with 0 points. I got plenty of great advice on how to structure my responses and seeking out further advice which I'm in the process of doing however I was wondering if anyone could provide advice in regard to this issue with the DWP while I'm waiting for the tribunal.

I received the bundle about the DWP response from the tribunal in July of this year and still don't have a date for my hearing. Despite this the DWP have insisted because they have deemed, I can look for work that I still need to engage with them and prepare for work. This is an issue as part of my appeal involves there being a substantial risk to myself if I was found not just fit for work but to even attend the DWP appointments and take part in any WRA. I went through how in my other post I've struggled with depression and anxiety with my previous job and how the symptoms worsened in my condition to the point I had to leave my job after taking several days off of work (unapproved and couldn't contact them about it because of my anxiety) I self-harmed and even attempted suicide due to the stress of my anxiety getting worse.

Since my appeal I did receive notifications of appointments being setup with a work coach and such since then. I thought this was a kind of automatic process as after I missed them, I wouldn't receive a sanction. (I know it's not smart to ignore them but due to the nature of my anxiety I find it too stressful to engage with them and end up avoiding the situation because of my condition) I did receive a sanction finally this at the end of last month. I left messages for my work coach pleading for a response as I was confused that I would still be found fit for work while the appeal is still pending. I didn't receive any response from them, recently I got the payment notification my UC that my payment for this month was £0. I sent several messages to my work coach and this time she responded and said that talking via the journal wasn't good enough and I had to engage with them and take part in the interviews. I have to go in on Tuesday to get the sanction removed and despite them saying it wouldn't be a big deal I haven't been able to sleep properly in days and not been able to properly take care of myself due to the stress from having to take part in this due to it being a social situation. This is again why I know if I have to engage with them after and look for work it will be of a substantial risk to my health. 

I was wondering if I could get advice on this as I haven't seen much on it. Are the DWP allowed to make me look for work and prepare for it while I'm still awaiting even a date from the tribunal let alone a decision. And thus is the sanction fair. I even tried asking if I could resolve the sanction over the phone, but they insisted I have to go in person. No idea why.

I understand the tribunal hearing can take a long time, it's just been more stressful to try and submit all my evidence properly and deal with it while dealing with the DWP asking me to prepare for work.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Unfortunately yes the dwp can insist you attend apots while waiting for hearing 

In their view you have had your wca and was found fit to work so until a tribunal rules differently you are classed as a job seeker 

Your work coach can amend your work commitments and appt but it is at their discretion 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.