Would you like a quick escape button? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would you like a quick escape button?

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,022 Scope online community team
Some websites have a quick escape button which lets users in unsafe situations quickly leave the website.

We are thinking about adding a quick escape button and have started an anonymous poll to get feedback from our members. Please vote and if you would like to tell us more about why you voted the way you did, you can tell us on our feedback form.
Community Manager
Scope

Would you like a quick escape button? 13 votes

Yes
53% 7 votes
No
46% 6 votes

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ah, this is a function I have seen work really well elsewhere @Adrian_Scope. I would be really interested to see the final results and outcome  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,022 Scope online community team
    Options
    Any more feedback about this would be appreciated! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 574 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't see why not having it, there are no real disadvantages to having one. I think it will benefit people though and you never know what circumstances people have that may need to use it. As a disability forum it'll also another layer of accessability and safeguarding for members especially when staff on the forum have gone home for the day or weekends.

Overall a yes from me, but I'm interested to hear what others think.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Personally I’ve never felt the need to quickly leave the forum.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• MrWright
    MrWright Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope, isn't this called a signout button? 🤣
    Community connected by disability.

Make friends, share your experiences, get advice you need, and discuss issues that matter to you.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I agree with @leeCal, I`ve never had the need to rapidly leave a thread.  I, personally, don`t see a need for an escape button; the mods seem to be on top of any "growing passion" (for want of an expression) in a conversation.  There also already exists a method of reporting someone / something in a thread if a member deems it necessary.
  • Cartini
    Options
    Just veering off subject - I would like to see a "mark all conversations as read" button.  There are a few conversations I won`t read, so after reading the ones I do I`d like to be able to mark all other unread ones as read.
  • SurvivorEmpowered
    SurvivorEmpowered Posts: 56 Connected
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hi everyone in the Scope community and @Adrain_Scope

I think what you may mean is like on domestic violence sites, they use technology to clear footprints in case their perpetrator is tracking them or something like that. I agree some information is very sensitive. I had a recent experience where a paid staff member wrote in a journal after a confidential information was shared regarding a support site I use due to the fact of being a child survivor a sensitive nature. 

Think on we don't always know WHO WE ARE SPEAKING TOO. That's why I show changing pictures of me. I am visually transparent. I have relevant experience professionally working in the field of youth and community, schools, health and social care voluntary and the private sector. I have been C.R.B checked government checked and have know criminal record not even a driving ticket.

I now choose to be honest and transparent MY CHOICE as survivors are often oppressed and kept cast aside like a dirty secret.

This is a tricky area but I see more benefits to adding more security than doing nothing. It's about getting the balance right. We must find ways to keep communicating effectively. Society is destroying individual personalities from expressing naturally. Everything appears to come down to conforming to societies acceptable norms.

Then ordinary people become confused as the enforcers and law makers all to often break the codes of acceptability. OR good working practises. These can be the very role models we look up too. I.E. ministers, school teachers, counsellors, members of parliament, Police, Parents, Family member, councillors, social workers, doctors, nurses. 

A good example of this is lies told during lock down by our government. Some members were found guilty of such deviance etc. 

• MrWright
    MrWright Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Options
    Glad to see I sparked this post back to life 🤣

And @Cartini, that's just lazy 😆 you should be willing to reply to all conversations that you post in or ask yourself why did you post in that topic to start with lol. 😉
    Community connected by disability.

Make friends, share your experiences, get advice you need, and discuss issues that matter to you.
  • Cartini
    Options
    MrWright said:
    Glad to see I sparked this post back to life 🤣

And @Cartini, that's just lazy 😆 you should be willing to reply to all conversations that you post in or ask yourself why did you post in that topic to start with lol. 😉
    @MrWright maybe you should go back and read my 2nd post again ;)

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I voted on this the realised it was 4 months old, however I would still vote no.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.