Things you're scared of now — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Things you're scared of now

Options
life
life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
Things you were scared of as a child but not scared of now and things you're scared of now but wasn't as a child.

I was terrified of the dark as a child but couldn't care less now and I wasn't afraid of heights as a child but I'm scared now ( just thinking about being at the top of a building gets my heart racing 😂 )

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was scared of men when I was a toddler maybe if was a sign 

I'm scared of monkeys and birds now but wasn't as a child 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm scared of the dark still and was as a child! :D 

As a kid I didn't think twice about my health and stuff but now I have terrible health anxiety
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,772 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm scared of things going wrong but didn't used to worry as a child. Things like getting a puncture while driving, the central heating packing in, toilet blocking, stuff like that.
  • life
    Options
    @Teddybear12 I've never been good in confined places, ever. Frightening sometimes for me.

@janer1967 I've never been in the presence of a monkey but if I was I don't think I'd mind. That could be wishful thinking though lol i saw a TV show with Karl pilkington(an idiot abroad) and he was around all these monkeys and they stole his bag of nuts 🤣

I think we all worry about our health one time or another @Biblioklept. It's just being an adult I guess. I got a text a week ago for what it says my annual HCA check, says make an appointment but still can't get myself to do it. Don't like being around people but being around people with flus and colds is a no no for me.

@66Mustang blackouts are something I worry a lot about. I need my leccy juice in the morning lol hate when no electric working can't charge phone, no TV and fridge and microwave off. Hasn't happened for a while so I'm due one happening again 😂
  • life
    Options
    https://youtu.be/I_aQG68zIms I don't think he likes monkeys too @janer1967 so funny 🤣
  • JoOfVengerberg
    JoOfVengerberg Scope Member Posts: 497 Pioneering
    Options
    I was scared of the dark as a child, nowadays I'm scared I'm running out of time.
    she/her, PhD student (disability fiction + cure), cerebral palsy + fibro
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @life my fear comes from a safari park where they were running free and climbing all over the car and pinched the wiper.  Then another incident at an open enclosure at a zoo where they were all fighting and chasing each other screeching and a bit too close for comfort 

I ran off which made it worse 
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't remember being scared of anything as a child.

Now I am scared of coming down the stairs because of my stiff joints.  I always think I might fall.

Also I am scared of more surgery.  I've had 7 operations in the last few years and each one seems worse than the last one.  I've just been listed to have my second knee replacement and my left thumb needs a 3rd operation.

The ops are worth it eventually but the recovery and physio period is so difficult.  Plus weaning yourself off the painkillers is hard.  

Gosh what a moaning minnie I have turned into.  Didn't realise how much it was bothering me until I started writing this post.  Will stop feeling sorry for myself immediately! 😂
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was scared of spiders but since having children i'm no as bad as i was.
    Hated curtains open at night, even just a little gap, still hate it now! Before i go to bed i always check the curtains in my bedroom to make sure there's no gaps.
    Hated birds flying around as a child, still hate them flying around now!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,119 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When I was little my aunt once told me you shouldn't leave a chink in your curtains or the sandman would get in (& throw sand in your eyes). So, I was scared of the sandman when very young; I'm really brave now, but still have to have my bedroom curtains completely shut (snap poppy!).....just in case. :)

• Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 284 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm not scared of much really although, I don't like the dark much either and I don't like some of those really scary faces in horror movies!
    That's about it.. 

My girls always joke "You're not scared of anything or anyone are you Mum?"
    (I have had years of dealing with their education settings and the local authority to thank for that!) 😂

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Death! 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • life
    Options
    Like the clown in American horror story @Luna51 ? I don't know if you've seen it but that clown actually scared the swear word out of me 😂😂

Death scares me the most too @L_Volunteer but I try not think about until I'm dead 🤣🤣
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 284 Pioneering
    Options
    life said:
    Like the clown in American horror story @Luna51 ? I don't know if you've seen it but that clown actually scared the swear word out of me 😂😂

Yes! He was pretty grim wasn't he.. 😱
    (I do love AHS though) 
    But then lost interest when Jessica Lange left the series..

One of the other scary faces I didn't like was the Salem's Lot Vampire and the little boy who hovers outside the window..
    I read it's having a remake but it's a no from me! - I still can't watch the original! 🤣

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a very good point @life<3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.