If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance

Options
beverley1471
beverley1471 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, I am a carer for my husband and not yet receiving a state pension. I currently get a small occupational pension and carers allowance, I have been told the occupational pension doesn’t affect or contribute towards carers allowance in any way.

Does this mean I can also earn up to the £132 a week that it states you can earn? I have searched online and cannot seem to find an answer, everything is getting very expensive.

Thank you for any advise  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes when claiming Carers allowance your maximum earning allowed is £132/week, after deductions. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility you need to tell them if you start working.
    If you're claiming any other benefits such as council tax reduction and/or housing benefit then you will need to report the changes if you start working.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @beverley1471 and welcome, thanks for posting your query :)

I hope the above reply has answered things for you, but if you need anything else, please do ask!

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • beverley1471
    beverley1471 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi! Yes I can find information saying an occupational pension isn’t counted as income, and information saying you can earn the £132, but nowhere saying if you can have both. So I was concerned that if I started to earn anything, they’d start counting my pension.

But I wasn’t aware I’d have to inform them if I started a part time job, I’d have just kept it below the £132 limit, so that’s useful thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your pension is not classed as earnings that will affect any Carers allowance. The rules won't change if you start working.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.