Carers allowance

Options
beverley1471
beverley1471 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, I am a carer for my husband and not yet receiving a state pension. I currently get a small occupational pension and carers allowance, I have been told the occupational pension doesn’t affect or contribute towards carers allowance in any way.

Does this mean I can also earn up to the £132 a week that it states you can earn? I have searched online and cannot seem to find an answer, everything is getting very expensive.

Thank you for any advise  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,276 Championing
    Options
    Yes when claiming Carers allowance your maximum earning allowed is £132/week, after deductions. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility you need to tell them if you start working.
    If you're claiming any other benefits such as council tax reduction and/or housing benefit then you will need to report the changes if you start working.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Options
    Hello there @beverley1471 and welcome, thanks for posting your query :)

I hope the above reply has answered things for you, but if you need anything else, please do ask!

Alex
  • beverley1471
    beverley1471 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi! Yes I can find information saying an occupational pension isn’t counted as income, and information saying you can earn the £132, but nowhere saying if you can have both. So I was concerned that if I started to earn anything, they’d start counting my pension.

But I wasn’t aware I’d have to inform them if I started a part time job, I’d have just kept it below the £132 limit, so that’s useful thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,276 Championing
    Options
    Your pension is not classed as earnings that will affect any Carers allowance. The rules won't change if you start working.