If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've moved in with my partner. Will I still get lcwra

Options
bigaxedwarf
bigaxedwarf Community member Posts: 73 Listener
edited December 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
I’ve moved in with my partner I just had lcwra awarded in July as we made a joint account for uc will I still get lcwra as my conditions haven’t changed I have the enchanted rate of pip also for both sections please help 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,124 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes you will still receive the LCWRA element which will be included in your maximum UC entitlement. 
    However, if your partner already receives the LCWRA element on your claim you will only receive one, rather than 2. 
    If your partner cares for you for at least 35 hours per week then they can claim carers element for looking after you. 
    They will need to report a change of circumstances and tell them they care for you and your UC maximum entitlement will increase by a further £168.81/month.
    If your partner works you will have the work allowance which means a certain amount of earnings per month will be disregarded before the 55% deductions apply. 
    If you claim for help with the rent it will be £344, if you don’t it will be £573.
    Whether there’s any entitlement to UC will depend on earnings received each month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bigaxedwarf
    Options
    He works we don’t get help with rent so how much will I get is it £573 work allowance I’m confused 
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2022
    Options
    As you don’t claim for help with the rent then yes your work allowance will be £574. This means your partner can receive that amount of money from earnings each month before the 55% deductions apply.
    Whether there’s any entitlement to UC after the deductions will depend on their earnings.
    I can’t tell you whether there’s any entitlement because I don’t know your circumstances. 
    You can both use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=1f9f40b2-1730-468b-a953-9d46391973d1
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bigaxedwarf
    Options
    Where does the joint claimant allowance come in I don’t get how it all works 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The work allowance applies because you have LCWRA. So for example if your partner receives £1,000 per month earnings then £573 of that will be ignored before the deductions apply. The remainder of the earnings will then reduce your UC by 55%. 
    If there’s just the 2 of you with no dependent children then your standard couples allowance will be £525.72/month if at least one of you is over 25. Then there’s the LCWRA element of £354.28. There’s also the carers element of £168.81/month if they look after you for at least 35 hours per week.
    Have you put both your details into the benefits calculator above? If not then please do that or speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check. 
  • bigaxedwarf
    Options
    Thank you  I’m not sure where the letter has gone as it was on my journal since we made the joint account it seems to have gone why is that? I can’t find it 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Which letter are you referring too? When you make a joint claim it clears all your history, including statements. 
    Have you put both your details into the benefits calculator linked above?
  • bigaxedwarf
    Options
    Yes I’m on about the lcwra letter will they still know I have lcwra 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes it should still be linked to your name. 
  • bigaxedwarf
    Options
    That’s good then 
  • bigaxedwarf
    Options
    my partner earns 1,400 I have lcwra how much would we get 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    Options
    my partner earns 1,400 I have lcwra how much would we get 

In an above comment you said you don't claim for help with the rent, if this is correct then your work allowance will be £573/month.
    If at least one of you is over 25 then standard allowance is £525.72 + LCWRA £354.28 + carers element £168.81 ( if no one else claims this or carers allowance for looking after you) and providing your partner looks after you for at least 35 hours per week.
    Total UC before deductions is £1,048.81. Earnings £1,400 - £573 (work allowance) £827 x0.55 = £454 deductions.
    £1,048.81 - £454 deductions. Total amount UC payable is £594.81.
    Please also remember that UC is based on earnings received during your assessment period. If your partner receives more earnings you will receive less UC. If less earnings, you'll receive more UC.
    My advice is also based on all the information you gave.
  • bigaxedwarf
    Options
    So I would get £594 uc altogether 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    Options
    So I would get £594 uc altogether 

Yes. You will then have your partners earnings and your PIP. Remember what i said here.

Please also remember that UC is based on earnings received during your assessment period. If your partner receives more earnings you will receive less UC. If less earnings, you'll receive more UC.

• bigaxedwarf
    Options
    Thanks for your advice 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @bigaxedwarf. It is the very least you deserve.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • bigaxedwarf
    Options
    Thank you can I also add that my partner cares for me but he can get the allowance is there anything he can do 
  • bigaxedwarf
    Options
    He can’t get to alliance sorry 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    Options
    He can’t get to alliance sorry 

Do you mean carers allowance or carers element? If no one else is claiming either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you then yes your partner can claim this, as i advised. Your partner does not need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carers element.
    They will need to "report a change of circumstances" then tell them that they care for you for at least 35 hours per week. The £168.81/month will then be included in your maximum UC entitlement. I already included that in the calculation above.
  • bigaxedwarf
    Options
    Can he still work and claim the amount I get the enchanted rates of pip does it come automatically 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.