Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Pip report unprofessional caller from dwp?

Options
needhelp120
needhelp120 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
Hey guys. I am currently in the process of a pip application, and after a huge struggle managed to get a paper-based assessment. They keep hounding me with phone calls even though they know I can't answer the phone. My mum has called them for me and all they do is shout on the phone to her how they see no evidence of 'this and that' despite the evidence in front of them from multiple doctors and social workers I have provided, they refuse to acknowledge it. The person my mum just spoke to was shouting at her that there is no proof she is the appointee on my account despite her recently having someone from the dwp come to her house to make it official. He then apparently would not let her talk at all and was ranting for over 10 mins that he has been dealing with PTSD for the past 3 years and hasn't needed pip and has been dealing with life fine and therefore I shouldn't get pip or even apply because he can manage so why can't I? I don't even have PTSD? I have a diagnosis of mixed anxiety and depression and EUPD/BPD. What does his condition have to do with me anyways? It is how your condition affects you? Not how some random man from the assessment centre condition affects him and therefore what he thinks about how you should be affected? Is this not really unprofessional? Can she report this? The people that have called her so far have just been vile. 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hey @needhelp120. It sounds like things are really difficult for you at the moment.

Thank you for reaching out to us. I appreciate the courage it can take to reach out, especially when you are finding things difficult.

It sounds really positive that you finally managed to get a paper-based assessment. Though, it is really frustrating that they keep hounding you with phone calls. 

Not least that your mum has phoned them up and they shouted at her and refuse to acknowledge the evidence! 

How disappointing that he proceeded to talk about his own experiences and compare his experiences with yours. Everyone is affected differently and needs different things. 

This seems to be exacerbated by having different diagnoses too. It would sound report worthy to me if this is something you would like to do and feel comfortable with. 

I do not have expertise in this area though. This means I am hoping people with more knowledge and experience in this area can respond to you soon.

In the meantime, I mainly wanted to respond to you to let you know I hear you and I have seen your post. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to support you.

We are all here for you and listening to you. You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to.

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Aimee87
    Aimee87 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    Wow!! That's absurd!! 
    The call would probably have been recorded..ask for a copy of it and complain! Nobody should be spoken to like that..especially a disabled person. Whoever it is needs to be sacked! 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Aimee87 said:
    Wow!! That's absurd!! 
    The call would probably have been recorded..ask for a copy of it and complain! Nobody should be spoken to like that..especially a disabled person. Whoever it is needs to be sacked! 
    You can`t make calls like that without knowing both sides of the argument.

• needhelp120
    needhelp120 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Options
    @Aimee87 My mum did complain and told them to listen to the conversation and the person was removed from my case and never contacted us again. Ever since that we dealt with a really nice lady and everything went much smoother!
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.