"Independent" advice re Housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

"Independent" advice re Housing

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,618 Pioneering
We live in our own (paid for) 3 bed semi that is now becoming too much for my wife to deal with - but to relocate would be a struggle (my mobility is poor and I would be unable even to contemplate looking round a new property !)
I would like a bungalow - but they are overpriced and in extremely short supply

My wife wants a kitchen extension / new kitchen and I urgently need a downstairs toilet (I regularly have "accidents")
So if we stay (which looks likely - because the housing market has virtually died)  - we need to spend some money - but we need independent advice on what to get
Is there some independent service that we can turn too ?
We have savings so would have to pay for any work - ourselves
Builders, obviously want our cash - but I don't trust them

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    You make a point which must apply to a lot of people. And yes you are right some independent advice would be good, before jumping in for builders' quotes.

But I'm thinking further..... Could you partly divide your house? Soundproofing of course would be important. And updating your insulation. But without seeing your house or knowing you or your likely future health, it does seem you may be in a lucky position of being able to future-proof yourselves, in case in time you need Older people and younger ones often make great friendships using these schemes. 

Could you look at these options, too? It would be a shame to endure builder disturbance, then in a year or so for one of you to have a need for someone to help part time, and then be annoyed with yourselves because you could have made things much easier just for want of an extra sink, ensuite, or a door in a different place, or an extra couple of hours work from an electrician  . 

Probably old people's sites will be the place for the sort of information you might consider, and they would also probably have ideas for protecting yourself as far as being 'babes- in- the -woods' for builders. You are absolutely right to take care, but there actually are some honest decent builders out there too!  
  • Wibbles
    Options
    newborn said:
    You make a point which must apply to a lot of people. And yes you are right some independent advice would be good, before jumping in for builders' quotes.

But I'm thinking further..... Could you partly divide your house? Soundproofing of course would be important. And updating your insulation. But without seeing your house or knowing you or your likely future health, it does seem you may be in a lucky position of being able to future-proof yourselves, in case in time you need Older people and younger ones often make great friendships using these schemes. 

Could you look at these options, too? It would be a shame to endure builder disturbance, then in a year or so for one of you to have a need for someone to help part time, and then be annoyed with yourselves because you could have made things much easier just for want of an extra sink, ensuite, or a door in a different place, or an extra couple of hours work from an electrician  . 

Probably old people's sites will be the place for the sort of information you might consider, and they would also probably have ideas for protecting yourself as far as being 'babes- in- the -woods' for builders. You are absolutely right to take care, but there actually are some honest decent builders out there too!  
    We're both still in our 50's
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wibbles :) 
    we need independent advice on what to get
    When you say "what to get", do you mean what kinds of adaptations could be most helpful to you, or the specific products (brands etc.) you need? I hope that question makes sense- I've got a bit of Sunday brain!

Have you had an assessment from an occupational therapist (OT)?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Wibbles
    edited December 2022
    Options
    When you say "what to get", do you mean what kinds of adaptations could be most helpful to you, or the specific products (brands etc.) you need? I hope that question makes sense- I've got a bit of Sunday brain!

I mean everything from the building to the kitchen sink !!
    Including access door and slope necessary to get to the door 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    The local council run a scheme to advise home owners on home upgrades - but the department is clearly overwhelmed with work at present - I messaged them over 3 months ago with nothing heard except for a "message received, will get back to you" !

• Wibbles
    edited December 2022
    Options

Yes - I have had an assessment from a OT - But this was just on equipment for the home - not the building itself - the problem is that I live in one county and my GP surgery and OT are in another (for historic reasons) - this has caused all sorts of problems in the past - but I am happy with my GP and will NOT be changing surgerys - because there are NO decent surgerys in my home townThis is the sort of thing that we are after - around £50k available

• Wibbles
    Options
    newborn said:

No - sorry - dividing the house would not be possible or desirable

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.