Cold Weather Payments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cold Weather Payments

Options
Luna51
Luna51 Community member Posts: 284 Pioneering
Hello all.. 

Hope you are all managing to stay warm, and on that theme, can I ask do the cold weather payments (£25 per 7 days of low temps) only apply to daytime temperatures (as where we are, we are in for some really cold nights this week ❄️❄️)
I'm sure it's the case but can't recall?
Many thanks.. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment
    You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below over 7 consecutive days.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Luna51
    Options
  • Jarvis
    Jarvis Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Please can you tell me why  people on DLA  are not eligible for any benefits  whays so ever  even the winter fuel money thsnkyou Barbara
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jarvis said:
    Please can you tell me why  people on DLA  are not eligible for any benefits  whays so ever  even the winter fuel money thsnkyou Barbara
    Claiming DLA does not disqualify you from claiming other income-related benefits.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jarvis said:

The winter fuel payments are for those that were state pension age on or before 26th September 2022.
    Whether you're entitled to any means tested benefits will totally depend on your circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Luna51 said:
    Hello all.. 

Hope you are all managing to stay warm, and on that theme, can I ask do the cold weather payments (£25 per 7 days of low temps) only apply to daytime temperatures (as where we are, we are in for some really cold nights this week ❄️❄️)
    I'm sure it's the case but can't recall?
    Many thanks.. 

A payment has been triggered in my area and other areas of England and Wales. You can check if there's one for your area here. https://coldweatherpayments.dwp.gov.uk/ assuming you're claiming a qualifying benefit of course.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Luna51
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456

Yes, just checked and it's flagged up in my area too, my middle daughter is eligible, as she gets LCWRA. 
    I can happily sit with a hot water bottle but she has mobility issues so needs to keep warm. 

Have a good weekend. 😊
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That's good, every little helps. My daughter and myself are eligible this year so that's £50 which will be paid straight onto my energy account. It means i can keep my heating on for longer. My health condition means cold weather makes it worse.
  • Luna51
    Options
    It really does help. 
    We had two cold weather payments last year as one was also for my youngest because she was on my UC claim (with a disability) but was 19 this year so is not on my claim anymore. 
    (but as mentioned in other posts we're making a claim for her now) 

Sorry the cold weather makes your condition worse, look after yourself, we need you here.. ❤️

• gjw59help
    gjw59help Community member Posts: 68 Courageous
    Options
    Once again many people have been left out in the cold regarding these payments if you have long term illness and on Contribution Based ESA you miss out and who knows why,in fact those on Income Related Benefits are getting the most money now,crazy!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,711 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    gjw59help said:
    Once again many people have been left out in the cold regarding these payments if you have long term illness and on Contribution Based ESA you miss out and who knows why,in fact those on Income Related Benefits are getting the most money now,crazy!
    Maybe they need the most money ?

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• gjw59help
    Options
    Slightly ignorant comment that,I wish I was getting "income related" as it says I am entitled to on my letter but "as I have paid my contributions I will get the same amount" but I don't get the extra help that those do who have not contributed,understand yet?
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    Options
    gjw59help said:
    Slightly ignorant comment that,I wish I was getting "income related" as it says I am entitled to on my letter but "as I have paid my contributions I will get the same amount" but I don't get the extra help that those do who have not contributed,understand yet?

I don't see any ignorant comments. You were previously advised in another thread of yours that if you were claiming Income Related then you would be a lot worse off. As you're entitled to contributions based then this increases your income. You can see the full explaination on your other thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/88566/income-based-versus-contribution-based-benefits/p1
    Because you contributed with your NI contributions then you do receive more than if you hadn't contributed.

• gjw59help
    Options
    Then why does it say I am entitled to an income related amount of £117 a week but because you have made contributions you still get £117 a week,that in itself isn't the problem because it is called CB we are not entitled to any of the extra Government payments that IR claimants get,see my point yet!
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    Options
    gjw59help said:
    Then why does it say I am entitled to an income related amount of £117 a week but because you have made contributions you still get £117 a week,that in itself isn't the problem because it is called CB we are not entitled to any of the extra Government payments that IR claimants get,see my point yet!

This was also already determined in that other threrad i linked to above. ESA letters are very well known to be extremely difficult to understand. Your CB ESA is worth more than Income Related.
    Nope, sorry but i do not see your point. If you were claiming IR then you would be a lot worse off than you are now. You're living with your partner who claims their state pension so any IR would be affected by her SP.
    Please take another look at the thread linked above at calcotti's first comment. She's done a benefits calculation for you and if your ESA was Income Related you would be receiving £90.70/week. As you're entitled to CB then you receive £117.60/week. That significantly better off in my eyes.
    Edit to point out that thread was from Feb 2022 which was before the April Increase so the CB ESA has increase slightly from then.
  • gjw59help
    Options
    in my last reply it explains that I would be entitled to an IR amount which is the same as my CB amount therefore the DWP are wrong or you are,yes my wife gets her basic state pension but that should not affect my ESA it didn't before she retired why should it now
  • poppy123456
    Options
    gjw59help said:
    in my last reply it explains that I would be entitled to an IR amount which is the same as my CB amount therefore the DWP are wrong or you are,yes my wife gets her basic state pension but that should not affect my ESA it didn't before she retired why should it now

Your wife's state pension will affect any entitlement to IR ESA which is why you're claiming CB!
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    gjw59help said:..,yes my wife gets her basic state pension but that should not affect my ESA it didn't before she retired why should it now
    Well obviously it didn’t before because she wasn’t getting it before. SP for wife is deducted in full from income based ESA but doesn’t affect contribution based ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • gjw59help
    Options
    Well thanks for your replies but I am still confused and frustrated perhaps it is my DWP letter saying I am entitled to an IR amount which is the same as my CB amount,that's what I see but without the extra help that IR claimants get,I am in the Support group by the way so I would still be entitled to enhanced premiums on IR according to Gov website,feels like discrimination to me,cheers anyway
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes you are entitled to IR and the Enhanced Disability premium is included in the calculation. 
    However because your wife is claiming state pension that’s deducted from your ESA. It has nothing to do with discrimination. You’re ESA is more than it would be if you were claiming IR. 
    I really don’t know how else to explain it because we’ve been here many times. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.