Hi, my name is groomy2004! Spare room cost — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is groomy2004! Spare room cost

Options
groomy2004
groomy2004 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Good Evening

For the last 12 months I have been in hospital and a residential care unit called Pathfinders due to getting covid and being in a coma for a number of week.

As a result of this I now have a tracky and currently I am nil by mouth and get feed via a BGT(Like a rig) and also have medication via the BGT as well.

Since being in hospital my benefits changed from ESA to universal credit back in December 2021.

I have 1 son who lives with us who also claims universal credit as well and has just passed a work capability test and is currently waiting to hear about his PIP claim after having a PIP phone interview.

Due to me having a lot of equipment including a medical hospital bed and needing a lot of supplies for my care needs I have a separate bedroom that before I came home in November 16th was classed as a spare bedroom that we had to pay for per month.

This bedroom is no longer a spare bedroom as it's being used by myself and my wife is in the other bedroom that we used to share.

We are still married but due to my medical condition we are now like just 2 people who live in the same house.

We are still having to cover the extra cost for the "spare bedroom" I am applying for PIP and have also applied for the discretionary housing payment but my housing officer thinks I will still have to carry on paying the "bedroom tax" payment as she said we are still living as a married couple.

She is correct we are married but we are far from a normal married couple now as I said above due to all medical needs.

Is there any help/advice that can be given please.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @groomy2004. Welcome to Scope’s forum. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you at the moment?

Thanks for finding the courage to reach out to us. I appreciate how much courage it can take to reach out, especially when you are finding things difficult and are new.

Is there any help/advice you are looking for in particular? I am just wondering how we can support you the most effectively :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • LizLizard
    LizLizard Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    I think she's right but that if you get PIP you'll no longer have to pay the bedroom tax. I can't find this information anywhere on central government's website unfortunately but I'm sure it's the same system for the whole country and have found the information here: https://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/info/200118/apply_for_help_paying_rent/1373/when_you_are_entitled_to_extra_bedrooms/2
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,965 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    LizLizard said:
    I think she's right but that if you get PIP you'll no longer have to pay the bedroom tax. I can't find this information anywhere on central government's website unfortunately but I'm sure it's the same system for the whole country and have found the information here: https://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/info/200118/apply_for_help_paying_rent/1373/when_you_are_entitled_to_extra_bedrooms/2

PIP doesn't automatically exclude anyone from the bedroom tax. The link you posted is information regarding claiming for an extra bedroom for someone with disabilities that can't either share a room, needs an extra bedroom for regular overnight care or an extra room for medical equipment. Not everyone will be entitled to this, it will depend on each individual circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.