Hi, my name is malgarner! PIP, LCWRA, and pension. Is this discrimination? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is malgarner! PIP, LCWRA, and pension. Is this discrimination?

malgarner Community member Posts: 2 Listener


  • malgarner
    malgarner Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have a problem I get a forces pension of £333 per month and i get basic pip my wife has just retired and gets £612 per month state pension and full pip i was getting lcwra and this was taken of me when my wife got her pension is this discrimnation as i can not work so they take it of me i knew i would lose the £200 universal credit but as i can not work as far as i can see i should not be penalised for this so in all my wifes pension is worth £15 per week
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,618 Disability Gamechanger
    LCWRA is part of UC. As you’re a mixed aged couple then your wife’s state pension and your pension reduces your UC £1 for £1. 
    LCWRA is still included in your maximum UC entitlement but the pension reduces your entitlement.
    May I ask if your wife cares for you for at least 35 hours per week? If so then she can claim carers element, which will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £168.81/month. She will need to report a change of circumstances and tell them she cares for you and the element will be added. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.