Rent increase — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rent increase

Options
life
life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
Got a call today from my landlord saying there will be a £100 rent increase starting this month.

I'm on UC and pip and I'm getting transitional protection from when I transferred over. Will my transitional protection end? Also will this be a significant change in circumstances?.

Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

If you already claim the housing element of uc and private renting you will be getting the local authority allowance.  This won't change so you will have to find the shortfall difference between the allowance and your actual rent 

This won't change your uc payments however you should report the new housing costs as a change in circumstances 
  • life
    Options
    Thanks for the info @janer1967. I reported the change and sent over the new tenancy agreement. Didn't know they could change the tenancy agreement before the date it ends (march 2023). 
  • janer1967
    Options
    I didn't think they could either but I'm no expert maybe worth you getting advice from cab or welfare rights about that unless anyone here knows 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Shelter are great for advice on housing matters;

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• life
    Options
    Thanks both for the advice.

Just got a text on my journal saying I've got an appointment at 1pm with risk review team. Must have something to do with new tenancy agreement I sent them.
  • life
    Options
    E-bio phone interview they call it. Was asked questions about where I live and where I used to live. Then asked me to send them old and new tenancy agreement plus NHS letter within 14 days. 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Sounds like they are investigating why your rent has changed mid tenancy 

Have you found out if the landlord is allowed to do this 

I will do some research this afternoon 
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This cost of living crisis is getting out of hand I think. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this @life- that sounds really stressful! Citizens Advice have some information on this.
    Your landlord can't just increase your rent whenever they like, or by any amount. They need to follow certain rules if they want you to pay more - these depend on the type of tenancy you have.

I'd echo the others' advice to get in touch with them, or Shelter, to check this. Do you have a copy of your tenancy agreement?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Davidhill
    Davidhill Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Where i live the Landlord are just putting rent up and lot of people can not afford it and it is cost of living which is effecting. I feel the government needs to capped the rent to make it fair for both tenants and Landlord. So many house are not EPC standard and the Landlord are charging rent, where it is costing the tenants more money in Energy.
  • life
    Options
    Thanks everyone I'll just wait and see what happens next and I'll inform you all. Thanks again 👍
  • life
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

You are welcome @life. It is the very least you deserve.

How are you feeling about everything at the moment? Please don’t hesitate to let us know how things go and if you need any further support in the meantime.

We are all here for you and listening to you. You don’t have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don’t want to.

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • life
    Options
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hope you get it all sorted out @life
  • life
    Options
    Thanks @Sandy_123 hopefully sorted by next week 👍
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @life. It is the very least you deserve  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • life
    Options
    Thanks @Sandy_123 and @L_Volunteer its all sorted now and my UC will continue. I gave an update on my other thread 👌
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Glad to hear it's all sorted now and your UC will continue @life. That sounds like a relief  :)

• life
    Options
    Quick update

When my rent increased I was told to upload new tenancy agreement to UC journal. When all was done they took away my transitional protection when I saw my monthly statement.

That was months ago so I just thought that's what happens. Recently though someone said the transitional protection shouldn't have stopped. 

I'm on UC lcwra and pip.

Any advice welcome thanks.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.