Direct payments management — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Direct payments management

goonerfan954 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, it looks as if i will rewarded direct payments by social services to help with my disability’s, however the social worker said i need someone to help manage the payments on my behalf.
Ordinarily this would be a family member or friend or someone like that but I don’t have anyone that can do that for me, so at the moment it’s at a stalemate and they said there’s nothing more they can do until i find someone.
Is there anything i can do? Would there be any voluntary organisations where someone might agree to do that for me?


  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 830 Pioneering
    Others will tell you up to date detail, but have you been offered an amount to cover this?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,744 Disability Gamechanger
    They should have gave you an option to either manage them yourself or they will manage them for you. 
    You need to contact them again and ask them to arrange someone to manage them on your behalf and your Local Authority can arrange this. 
    Have you also had a financial assessment to determine if you have to pay towards the help you receive? Lots of people have to pay a contribution now. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @goonerfan954 and a warm welcome! How are you today?

    There are some organisations (Independent support brokers) who do payroll and direct payment management on behalf of disabled people, and some also help with the recruitment of personal assistants. You can generally find these on your local authorities online 'local offer' webpage. 

    Here's Disability Rights UK short guide about brokerage with more details.

    Please let us know how you get on and good luck.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.