Difficult time with daughter given her tics, hormones, sleeping difficulties, and expressing herself — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Difficult time with daughter given her tics, hormones, sleeping difficulties, and expressing herself

Options
GG8008
GG8008 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have a 9 year old daughter diagnosed with Autism. She is going through early puberty and is suspected of havin g tourette's syndrome because she's been having tics of 9 months now. 

We're going through a difficult time given her tics, hormones, sleeping difficulties, and she is not able to express herself well. She also has this very disturbing mastubatory behavior of pulling her trousers and knickers down at school or at school transport thus exposing her private parts. We have tried our very best to teach her as to protect her dignity and establish boundaries but nothing seems to be working at the moment.

Her tics also include holding her breath for as long as she could, head jerking and biting her finger at the end of it. 

Does anyone have the same experience with their children? any advice would be appreciated . Thanks very much!

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Welcome to the community @GG8008 :) 

I'm not a parent, so can't speak from that perspective, but I hope another parent or carer on the community who's been through something similar will see and respond to your post soon! 

I have a loved one with Tourette's, and some of their tics can be quite painful at times. Is your daughter receiving any professional support for her Tourette's, autism, and challenging behaviour?

Is her school supportive?

I'm also wondering whether you might find it helpful to access one of our family services. I'm sure one of our friendly advisers would be happy to help if they can :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.