Carer and need of housing. Can I qualify for council housing if I apply? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer and need of housing. Can I qualify for council housing if I apply?

Options
hayatiim
hayatiim Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello
I am carer for parent i live with parents at their council property for very long im 23 now . So i just want a bit private space for my self . Can i qualify for council housing if i apply?. 
I cant afford for private rent as my whole income wont even cover the rent
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,575 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you're a single person then the chances of being housed with social housing is very slim and could take several years. You can of course put your name down on the housing list.
    As for any rent, whether it's private or social housing, you can claim for help with this through Universal Credit. Do you current work or claim any other benefits? if so which benefits do you claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @hayatiim :) Thank you for joining us!

Along with poppy123456, I'd also be interested in hearing a little more about your situation. This may help us to point you in the right direction.

Have you looked into housing association housing at all? 

It's understandable that you'd want some space to yourself, so fingers crossed you'll manage to find something suitable :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • hayatiim
    Options
    If you're a single person then the chances of being housed with social housing is very slim and could take several years. You can of course put your name down on the housing list.
    As for any rent, whether it's private or social housing, you can claim for help with this through Universal Credit. Do you current work or claim any other benefits? if so which benefits do you claim?
    Yes i receive uc but just about 100£ plus carers A . So i dont have money to pay rent or bills.
  • hayatiim
    Options
    Welcome to the community @hayatiim :) Thank you for joining us!

Along with poppy123456, I'd also be interested in hearing a little more about your situation. This may help us to point you in the right direction.

Have you looked into housing association housing at all? 

It's understandable that you'd want some space to yourself, so fingers crossed you'll manage to find something suitable :)  

Is housing association same as council?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,575 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hayatiim said:
    Yes i receive uc but just about 100£ plus carers A . So i dont have money to pay rent or bills.

If you're a single person your UC should include standard allowance plus carers element. Your carers Allowance is deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    If you rent your own home in the future you'll be able to claim for help with the rent through UC known as housing element (unless you live in either temporary or supported housing.
    If you rent privately and you're single then because you're under 35 you'll only be entitled to shared rate of Local housing allowance (LHA) unless you're in the receipt of either daily living PIP or DLA mid/high rate care for yourself and then you'll be entitled to 1bedroom rate.
    You can check the rates for your area here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 279 Pioneering
    Options
    Everyone can qualify for Social Housing but the chances of ever been offered one if you are a single person is almost impossible without high priority, even with high priority is can take many years of waiting depending on area.

It might be best to look into house shares or possibly private renting(depending on prices in your area) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.