Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

VAT on Homehelp costs

Options
CMB
CMB Community member Posts: 44 Listener
I have a homehelp because I am unable to do housework due to severe fatigue and mobility problems. I have to pay VAT, yet I would not choose to have a homehelp if I were not disabled. Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 372 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes interesting question. I dont know the answer but would love to know.
  • sarahh119
    sarahh119 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Options
    Is it just housework they help you with? You could pay someone privately we found our cleaner through Facebook she's been with us 8 years x
  • CMB
    Options
    No, they are a homehelp, so other tasks. I have had numerous private cleaners etc but they all let me down because parking is difficult where I live.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    CMB said:
    I have a homehelp because I am unable to do housework due to severe fatigue and mobility problems. I have to pay VAT, yet I would not choose to have a homehelp if I were not disabled. Can anyone help me with this?
    VAT is chargeable on all but a few services, the following link gives a breakdown:
    Your particular circumstances don`t appear to be covered.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @CMB

I wonder if a needs assessment by your local authority would be useful? It might be an option you've already explored that isn't appropriate, however, here is an NHS overview of what a social care needs assessment offers. Needs assessments are means tested so there is the possibility you would have to contribute to this too, I'm afraid.

Age UK also offers a home help service in specific locations around the UK, you can visit their website to see what is available in your area.

Please let us know if you have any luck. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • CMB
    Options
    I have had an assesessment, thank you. I don't seem to qualify for carers and I don't want agency carers leaving my home in a mess as I've seen elsewhere. I really like my homehelp, she has adapted to my needs so well. But she is employed by an agency and so VAT is charged. I would like to ask her to make a private arrangement, but I am not ready to ask her yet.
  • Cartini
    Options
    CMB said:
    I have had an assesessment, thank you. I don't seem to qualify for carers and I don't want agency carers leaving my home in a mess as I've seen elsewhere. I really like my homehelp, she has adapted to my needs so well. But she is employed by an agency and so VAT is charged. I would like to ask her to make a private arrangement, but I am not ready to ask her yet.
    If she is working through an agency, I doubt she will be able to do private work.  But, as the saying goes, nothing ventured nothing gained.

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds really difficult that you have had an assessment but do not have access to the support you need (and deserve) @CMB

I can hear how you might not want agency carers though if you have seen negative experiences with agency carers.

It sounds positive that, despite these struggles, you really like your home help and she has adapted to your needs so well. 

However, I can hear the implications of her being employed by an agency and VAT being charged. Is there anything, in particular, that might make asking her this question more manageable for you at the moment?

It is ok not to be ready to ask her yet. You can do this at your own pace when you are ready to ask her but, hopefully, you will be able to access what you need. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • CMB
    Options
    Cartini said:
    CMB said:
    If she is working through an agency, I doubt she will be able to do private work.  But, as the saying goes, nothing ventured nothing gained.

The agreement I have says that employees may enter into private work as long as notice is given.
  • CMB
    Options
    It sounds really difficult that you have had an assessment but do not have access to the support you need (and deserve) @CMB

I can hear how you might not want agency carers though if you have seen negative experiences with agency carers.

It sounds positive that, despite these struggles, you really like your home help and she has adapted to your needs so well. 

However, I can hear the implications of her being employed by an agency and VAT being charged. Is there anything, in particular, that might make asking her this question more manageable for you at the moment?

It is ok not to be ready to ask her yet. You can do this at your own pace when you are ready to ask her but, hopefully, you will be able to access what you need. 

Sorry, but I don't know how to quote part of a post. Apparently the owner of the agency has campaigned for VAT relief for those who need the help provided. She could not afford to take the time off to visit Parliament. I wondered if SCOPE would campaign for it.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)

tening to you  :)

• CMB
    Options
    I was wondering if SCOPE would pick up this issue?  The owner of the agency campaigned to get VAT relief for the disabled who need help and don't just want it as a luxury. She could not afford to go to Parliament. (I don't quite understand why not.)
  • Cartini
    Options
    CMB said:
    Cartini said:
    CMB said:

The agreement I have says that employees may enter into private work as long as notice is given.
    There you go then.
  • CMB
    Options
    It's not that simple. My homehelp may decline.
  • Cartini
    Options
    CMB said:
    Cartini said:
    CMB said:

There you go then.
    CMB said:

As I said earlier - nothing ventured nothing gained.  You`ll only know / find out by asking.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,483 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    CMB said:

Well if you don't ask then you'll never know. They can only say yes or no.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,024 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    CMB said:

Well if you don't ask then you'll never know. They can only say yes or no.
    Exactly 
  • CMB
    Options
    I need to know her much more. We get on very well, but I have had a year of being let down and stolen from. I would like to know if SCOPE if campaign for VAT relief without decisions made for me. Thank you for your kindness 
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,024 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    CMB said:
    I need to know her much more. We get on very well, but I have had a year of being let down and stolen from. I would like to know if SCOPE if campaign for VAT relief without decisions made for me. Thank you for your kindness 
    Isn't it awful how some people treat vulnerable people these days. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.