Cold weather — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cold weather

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
so what’s it like where you are?

here we had to leave the attic loft hatch off to let heat into the attic to stop our pipes from freezing! Made the house very much colder than it already was brrrr...

No snow though.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options
    Sadly still no snow here yet but this morning everything had a nice coat of frost, was a lovely view to wake up to.

Thankfully we have just had a new boiler fitted with Anti Freeze pipes so don’t have to worry about that 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have a thin layer of snow here, but woke up to the boiler having temporarily packed in due to a frozen pipe outside! Cue a mild panic, and it's back on. We need one of your anti freeze pipes @Luchia !

I haven't missed de-icing my car, brrrrrr.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    yesterday down south had about 45 minutes of snow it settled but only a thin sprinkling, lots of ice been grey and cloudy so staying 1 plus to minus 2 during the day and lots of freezing fog. there is an ice rink in the bournemouth gardens not that its needed plenty of thick ice about the place.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No snow here but very cold.  Was frosty last couple of mornings but rain cleared that this morning.  Now left with frozen puddles.

Only 11c in the kitchen when I got up today though!  Had the washing machine & tumble dryer on for a couple of hours...and the kitchen is still only 14c.  Might have to put a coat on to do the washing up!  :D

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Snowing by me now only light snow. Freezing cold tho
  • leeCal
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Our ice has melted and its about one or two c outside, cloudy but nice for a walk if you wrap up. Had a plumber round this morning to fix the bath leak, was reasonably priced @£60 an hour, just took him one hour so not too bad, I was expecting a bigger bill. 

Try to keep warm everyone! 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    who is your plumber that is a reasonable price ?
  • leeCal
    Options
    Well @emancherry33 I can’t really divulge that info on a public forum. Sorry 😐 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Options
    That's a better price then what you thought @leecal and no more marigolds lol
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,876 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hope everyone is staying as warm as possible, i don't mind the cold really, just got a few layers on, stay safe people x  cold and frozen were we are in Liverpool
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    We have a thin layer of snow here, but woke up to the boiler having temporarily packed in due to a frozen pipe outside! Cue a mild panic, and it's back on. We need one of your anti freeze pipes @Luchia !

Was that the condensate pipe?  If so, that`s caught me out before too.

• Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options

It’s part of the new Valiant EcoTec Boilers, they prevent pipes from freezing etc, we did have a very light dusting of snow here for around 10 minutes earlier but that’s about it so far.
    Between the EcoTec and the pipes thermal lining we are pretty much frozen pipe immune, it’s definitely worth having in such cold weather 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have about 6" of lying snow and very very cold brrrrr
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Wow 😮 that’s a lot of snow @woodbine, take care.

Starting to freeze up again here now too.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• just4once
    just4once Scope Member Posts: 87 Courageous
    Options
    Yep it’s been here for a few days now still not safe to go out I had to cancel my trip to uk for family Christmas as was meant to be on a coach today but weather too bad will see then in January hopefully better safe than sorry
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We had a thin layer of snow, now just have the freezing cold breezes. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    Options
    They say that the weather will warm up at the weekend, normally I like he cold but this year with the price of energy I really hope it doesn’t last long...I can’t afford it!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Options
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's typical we are having the coldest weather for a long time the year the energy costs have gone through the roof 
  • Sandy_123
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I know I've just put heating on for an hour as little  one is coming over 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.