Cold Weather Payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cold Weather Payment

Options
diabeticrik
diabeticrik Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited January 2023 in Cost of living
Hello, as the government are paying certain postcodes the Cold weather payment I was just wondering if anyone has a clearer answer than I can find on Google.

My question is, do both adults have to be unemployed to be eligible for the payment if claiming Universal Credit (disabled qualifying criteria has been met).

The dwp site isn't clear if both has to be unemployed or not.

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    As UC is means tested it will be based on your joint circumstances. If either of you are working then you won't qualify.

Universal Credit

You’ll usually get Cold Weather Payments if you get Universal Credit and you’re not employed or self-employed. One of the following must also apply:

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • diabeticrik
    diabeticrik Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Thanks poppy I was just unsure as I would of thought they would have put you or your partner instead of just you.

Thanks as always
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No worries. I had to read it a couple of times myself. With earnings, the only time you would still be entitled to it would be if you have a disabled child amount in your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Puja
    Puja Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 104 Courageous
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hi @diabeticrik
    You can work whilst on UC and having LCW or LCWRA. 

I found a page on gov.uk that states you can earn up to £344 a month on LCWRA 
    anymore than that and they take off 55p per pound you earn
    their example was earning £500 and £85.50 deduction from UC. 
    My Pronouns are (She/Her & They/Them)

I have lived experience of ND conditions, chronic pain, mental health & well-being, PIP, ESA, employment and benefits. 

😊 Why not fundraise for SCOPE for free while you shop online 💜💛 🎅🏻 💷💸 🍯💻 📱🛒 🛍️ 📦 

SCOPE ebay shop (online)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Puja said:

hope you get the cold weather £25 extra payment as in reality its probably double that it’s costing currently! 
    As they are claiming UC with a working partner they are not entitled to the cold weather payment. Full details in the link provided above.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Puja said:
    Hi @diabeticrik
    You can work whilst on UC and having LCW or LCWRA. 

I found a page on gov.uk that states you can earn up to £344 a month on LCWRA 
    anymore than that and they take off 55p per pound you earn
    their example was earning £500 and £85.50 deduction from UC. 
    That has got nothing to do with the qualifying criteria for Cold Weather Payments that he was asking about.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • 5imply_Ted
    5imply_Ted Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Options
    I don’t expect earnings below the work allowance for lcwra will be disregarded by DWP when assessing eligibility for cold weather payments.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I don’t expect earnings below the work allowance for lcwra will be disregarded by DWP when assessing eligibility for cold weather payments.

As has been advised, with earnings you won't qualify for the CWP unless you have a disabled child element included in your maximum UC entitlement.
  • 5imply_Ted
    Options

As has been advised, with earnings you won't qualify for the CWP unless you have a disabled child element included in your maximum UC entitlement.
    That’s correct, although I find it curious that receiving extra payments for a disabled child should prioritise eligibility for CWP over disabled people not receiving those payments. After all, disability means using more heating across the age range. Oh well, just another sneaky saving along with the Warm Home Discount cutbacks I suppose.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    5imply_Ted said:., just another sneaky saving along with the Warm Home Discount cutbacks I suppose.
    Although some people who used to get it now don’t I thought the changes this year were intended to reach a larger number of people with increased expenditure overall.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    5imply_Ted said:., just another sneaky saving along with the Warm Home Discount cutbacks I suppose.
    Although some people who used to get it now don’t I thought the changes this year were intended to reach a larger number of people with increased expenditure overall.

Not forgetting some have been told they are entitled when they're not even named on an energy account. As well as some oddly being entitled when they don't even claim any of the qualifying benefits.
  • 5imply_Ted
    Options
    Typical DWP inconsistency. It’s nothing new. Some of us with zero change of circumstances are suddenly considered ineligible. Someone has to get the short straw I suppose. But that’s probably for a different thread 😉

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.