Advice for a friend. Is there anything else she could claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice for a friend. Is there anything else she could claim?

jody1984 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
My friend is on ssp as she’s off worked due to being diagnosed with chronic kidney disease stage 5 renal failure and she is struggling with money is there anything as she could be able to claim all advice would be greatly received thanks in advance 


  • Puja
    Puja Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 104 Courageous
    sorry to hear this but you’re a good friend trying to find out and help her 🙂

    i can think of ESA & PIP and maybe UC or others for help with housing & heating etc
    depending on her circumstances might be worth doing a benefit calculator?

    My Pronouns are (She/Her & They/Them)

    I have lived experience of ND conditions, chronic pain, mental health & well-being, PIP, ESA, employment and benefits. 

    😊 Why not fundraise for SCOPE for free while you shop online 💜💛 🎅🏻 💷💸 🍯💻 📱🛒 🛍️ 📦 

    SCOPE ebay shop (online)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,582 Disability Gamechanger
    New style ESA can't be paid at the same time as SSP. Once SSP ends if they've paid the correct amount of NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then they can claim it.
     While still claiming SSP they can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. If they live with a partner they need to claim as a couple and their joint circumstances will be taken into consideration.
    If they have savings/capital of more than £16,000 they're excluded from claiming.
    If a claim for UC is made they will need to report their health condition, supported by a fit note within 7 days of that.
    If both of those are claimed together the ESA is deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    It's very difficult to give 3rd party advice so they may want to get a full benefits check from an advice agency near them.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jody1984
    jody1984 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Thank you both @Puja and @poppy123456 she’s going to look into the benefits and get a more in depth advice on her circumstances thank you again 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    You are welcome @jody1984. Has she managed to look into the benefits and get more in-depth advice on her circumstances yet?

    If so, I am just wondering how this has gone. If you need any further support please don't hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.