Memorable Christmas Eves — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Memorable Christmas Eves

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
One Christmas Eve not long ago at about five in the evening there came a knock on my front door. There was a woman saying she had seen my cat die outside my house. I told her I hadn’t got a cat and thought it was a neighbours, so I told him his cat had unfortunately been run over. He replied that it couldn’t be his cat as it was at home in front of his fire. The woman drove off. I asked him what I should do with the dead cat and he suggested I wrap it in a towel and bury it in my garden. I wasn’t keen on doing that, I only had a small garden, so I decided to drive to a nearby woods with my youngest son and bury the poor thing there. We took a torch and off we went, deep into the woods I dug a shallow grave , laid the cat to rest and said a short prayer.

Meanwhile my other children had arrived home home from last minute Christmas Eve shopping and my youngest had texted them unbeknownst to me telling them of our exploits. When I got in there was a chorus of disapproval at my action and demands to go back to the woods and bring the cat back. I was adamant that I wouldn’t do it at first but eventually I relented as they insisted that it would be microchipped. So off we went again at around six thirty in the pitch black back to the woods with a torch and a shovel where we found the dead cat and exhumed it. Next we had to find a vets which was open on Christmas Eve which amazingly existed some ten miles away and we drove there and my two sons took the cat in to the vets where it was found to have a chip. 

Later at around nine pm my youngest phoned the owner who lived a few doors along the road and let him know the bad news. It was strange Christmas Eve  to say the least! 

Anybody else had a memorable Christmas Eve I wonder? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,440 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
              Fresh out of a 16 year bad relationship my dad encouraged me to go out for the night with a friend, to celebrate the start of my new life. My children then 7 and 10 more than happy to stay with granddad. Too many hours later and waaaaay  too many drinks ( you get the picture) I rolled home.

My dad asked if I wanted help getting the Christmas presents out..... Being in the state I was in I had totally forgot where they were.....

I had to wake up my son to ask him where I had hidden them, in turn waking my daughter up as well.  
            It's safe to say they both knew there and then there was no Father Christmas.  :/
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Gosh @leecal that's 1 you want forget poor cat. 

I was working till 10pm one Xmas eve with a colleague. When she announced that she would love to go to midnight Mass, but had no one to go with. So me being me and not Catholic, offered to go. 
    At 11. 45 she picked me up, in the snow, after telling my shocked family that I was off to church. 
    Was an eye opener to say the least. I didn't have a clue what was going on, shook the priest hand as we left. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Too many Christmas eve I can't remember due to excessive amounts of alcohol in my 20s 

Remember getting home one year as everyone was just getting up and wasn't happy as all I wanted to do was crash out in bed 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I once spent 9 hours driving home from a conference in London on xmas eve the traffic was really bad
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.