Want to give up PIP feel so restricted - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Want to give up PIP feel so restricted

2»

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @wildlife

I suspect that Atos have little credibility with Tribunals which in part is why so many appeals succeed. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Atos/Capita being employed by the DWP obviously carry the most weight with them. When you have to go to tribunal; there is no such Bias, all evidence carries the same starting weight. Then the panel will decide between an HCP version and your version backed up with credible professional evidence. This is why tribunals find in favour for the majority of the time
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    wildlife said:
    @Matilda ATOS sent me 6 X A4 sheets of how the report was in line with DWP guidelines. Their favourite cop out which I've had twice from different sources at ATOS is: It is very difficult to reconcile what was said or not said at the assessment we basically have two different versions of events. Translated that means they believe the assessor is telling the correct version and I'm lying. I'm hoping ICE will see that I wasn't likely to have removed the plastic label from a water bottle held between my knees. Let's hope so anyway..
    That's what ATOS said to me. Most odd how my GP, both parents (neither of whom were present at my assessment) and my friend (who was present; but has never discussed my medical problems with parents) all agree that I have issues with things. ATOS will tell you different. ATOS have met me once, friend spends time with me at least once a month and has known me for almost 5 years.

I will never understand how a decision on one's disability can be made in one hour. It's not as if we're asked to carry out tasks. Maybe if they did ask us to do things, they'd realise how much some of us struggle...
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Nystagmite You're right it can't be assessed in an hour. I was trying to chop parsley this morning when a pain shot through my left arm. I've been in 5 road accidents, 2 with severe whiplash and 1 when the car rolled over and the roof caved in hitting me on the head. I had it a car first and shaken about like a rag doll. Now I constantly drop things, knock pans, spill hot liquid, burn things, cannot bend down to the oven nor have the strength to slice a carrot, but according to ATOS I am able to prepare food with just an aid. What aid? I have a perching stool that's all. They accept I have weakness in both legs and peripheral neuropathy. Had 4 falls last year, yet because I take pain killers, the results of my MSE were normal for upper body strength (all lies) which were the only reasons she could dream up why I can step over the side of the bath and stand to shower. My assessor wrote in functional history that "she feels she needs to hold on to a rail with both hands". She wrote "she feels" lots of times which makes the DM think it's all in my mind. "When sitting she feels she has more pain in her Feet" That's a good one. It leaves me speechless that a so called Paramedic can write such rubbish (yet to be investigated whether she was qualified). It would be a matter of life or death if attending an emergency. Thank-you for listening, I wasn't sure what to give ICE by way of more evidence of malpractice, I now have a few ideas.      
  • Matilda
    I've been to a Tribunal and won so know what they do.  I still think part of the reason so many succeed is because Atos have little credibility.
  • Matilda
    @wildlife

Paramedics are advanced first aiders; certainly not qualified to assess people with complex disabilities.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    wildlife said:
    @Nystagmite You're right it can't be assessed in an hour. I was trying to chop parsley this morning when a pain shot through my left arm. I've been in 5 road accidents, 2 with severe whiplash and 1 when the car rolled over and the roof caved in hitting me on the head. I had it a car first and shaken about like a rag doll. Now I constantly drop things, knock pans, spill hot liquid, burn things, cannot bend down to the oven nor have the strength to slice a carrot, but according to ATOS I am able to prepare food with just an aid. What aid? I have a perching stool that's all. They accept I have weakness in both legs and peripheral neuropathy. Had 4 falls last year, yet because I take pain killers, the results of my MSE were normal for upper body strength (all lies) which were the only reasons she could dream up why I can step over the side of the bath and stand to shower. My assessor wrote in functional history that "she feels she needs to hold on to a rail with both hands". She wrote "she feels" lots of times which makes the DM think it's all in my mind. "When sitting she feels she has more pain in her Feet" That's a good one. It leaves me speechless that a so called Paramedic can write such rubbish (yet to be investigated whether she was qualified). It would be a matter of life or death if attending an emergency. Thank-you for listening, I wasn't sure what to give ICE by way of more evidence of malpractice, I now have a few ideas.      
    They said aids would work with me. But what aids tell you how to cook food and when your food is actually cooked, I really don't know. I was never actually asked what difficulties I have cooking - it was stated on the form I have difficulties due to poor vision; but was only asked what I lived on. My mum wrote something for my MR about my difficulties with cooking too, which was ignored. I can't even make a cup of tea unaided; so goodness knows how anyone thinks I can cook a meal.

Most odd how I got DLA because I can't cook a meal without needing help from another person. I've not suddenly got better.
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    I feel low today third time luck With PIP but do know change rule with panic attacks at be 0 point but tonight be out
    V.shaw
  • rosscolfc
    rosscolfc Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Know exactly what your feeling. I'd say I have 2 good days in a week. 
    If I plan my days well. 
    But a trip to the shopping centre or national trust with the family will lead to the next 24/48hrs written off with my usual symptoms of pain, muscle spasms and stiffness where just walking to the loo is effort. 

But out when I'm having a good day. Or if I'm really lucky 2 or 3 good days on the bounce I feel mentally drained. It's a weird emotion I think mainly because I miss employment. And I think wow why can't every day be like this, I'll get back into work. Then a day later I'm flat on my back in agony thinking whose going to employ me, in One day off for 2/3! 

All i I can say is stay strong and remember. You didn't chose to be disabled. Your not a fraudster. It's been diagnosed by doctors who know a dam sight more than some government QUANGO!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Dasiydo - as requested above, you could start your own thread on this. I'm wondering if you are talking about the changed rules about planning & following journeys. These mean that there are some points which can't be scored on the basis of panic attacks, but if you can't take any journey at all because of panic attacks, you can still score points. If your condition changes from day to day, then you could still get points as long as you were unable to go out more than 50% of the time.
    You can also still score points (but not very many) if you need prompting to take a journey, in order to avoid your panic attacks.

Hope that helps. 

atypical, it's awful how the government's policies and the terrible quality of the assessments and administration has led to people who get through the process having doubts like yours. As everyone has said, PIP is paid for the extra costs of disability. You're entitled to it and you had a decent assessor. It does happen - and that is how it should happen. You got what was rightfully yours. It's still not very much when you think about how the world is set up.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.