Change from mainstream primary school to autistic secondary school — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change from mainstream primary school to autistic secondary school

Options
MelanieB
MelanieB Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello everyone i am a disabled single mother to my 11year old autistic son who starts secondary school next week, i feel i've made the right decision as he'll be going to an autistic school. Their will be other children with autism going there, my concern is how my son will feel around other autistic children as his primary education was in a mainstream school.

Comments

• MelanieB
    MelanieB Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    All advice given appreciated.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello Melanie and welcome
    We have a section dedicated to autism and some great members who will be able to give you best advice

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MelanieB welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the ASD category :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @MelanieB and welcome to the community.

Your son will find it strange to begin with. Classes will be a lot smaller to what he is used to. The atmosphere tend to be a lot calmer. Alongside the academic learning they also work on independence and day to day issues.

Special schools are usually better resourced which means your son is likely to get opportunities to do things that he would not get within mainstream school.

Bullying, as @DannyMoore says is rare but not unheard off. However because of the higher adult/child ratio this is usually quickly spotted and dealt with.

As I said your son will find it strange and to begin with may find it difficult to settle in. But may find it better when he does.

I won't lie to you, even with a small group when one has a meltdown it does have an impact on others, but staff are trained to deal with these and things usually calm down quickly. They also have ways of encouraging the children to be honest with how they are and can usually pick up on individuals who might have a bad day and deal with it and monitor the situation.

Places in such schools are in short supply and the fact he got into one suggests long term he will benefit greatly from it. My daughter was in mainstream right through her schooling, she never made any friends and was often bullied. Academically she was very bright and was ambitious to go to university so we stuck with it. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness