Can't lose weight on many meds — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can't lose weight on many meds

sharon1971
sharon1971 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I just can't seem to lose weight. I'm on a lot of medication and asthmatic.  I've always had a problem with food when I was younger being bulimic. Its really starting too play on my mind so started to stop eating as I've got no appetite at all and if I try to eat it makes me sick. Please any help 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sharon1971 welcome to the community, Im sorry you are having a tough time, but it is really important that you get a handle on your food intake.  Can you see your doctor?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi @sharon1971
    Sorry to hear that youre struggling with this (and with the other stuff youve got going on with the dwp).
    I've put quite a bit of weight on since 2015/16. Unmedicated until late last year, I put it down to a mixture of suddenly reduced physical activity, both as a result of my conditions and of the soporific effects of the meds. I've been told by my gp that certain of my meds do slow down metabolism, and that things like omeprazole can cause you to gain weight.
    If I were you I would definitely go and see your Doctor, Sharon, as soon as possible, and tell them everything.
    Good luck ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I've lost a stone by cutting out carbs for one meal a day.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    It's always difficult when medication interferes with weight. However, not eating will make little difference.

When you don't eat your body goes into hibernation mode and instead of feeling hungry you will just feel tired all the time. Any weight loss will be slow and gradual. The answer is to eat at normal times but eat much less than people do now. You will lose weight faster this way. Exercise can help to tone the muscles but doesn't have an appreciable effect on weight. It is possible to lose weight faster by eating normally for a few weeks then having a week of not eating at all but this isn't very healthy as it puts enormous strain on the body. Keeping the weight off is down to continuing to eat the same way.

I have lost 10 stone (62.2 Kg) over the last 7 years by simply reducing the amount I eat. I cannot exercise due to my condition. What I eat horrifies everyone as it's most unhealthy. All fat, carbs and oily food either cooked or bought in. I suppose if I ate healthy I would lose more but I'm happy as I am.

Bulimia is hard to deal with and stems from MH conditions. Perhaps, if you can start losing weight, this will reduce. It puts a lot of strain on the body and the last thing you need are more complications.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • sharon1971
    Thank you for taking time to reply.  The doctor going to take some bloods to see if there, 's anything going on there.  Been told about 3/4 of my medication has the side effect of weight gain.  Going to try and eat regular meals. 
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Hi Sharon, 
    its great that your doctor is going to run some tests. 
    Find outs how the medications affect weight is good because it will help you understand the physical side as sometimes medication increases weight gain because they make you feel hungry. 

I feel there are three things you need to also thing about,
    1. How you at feeding your mind, what you are telling yourself about weight gain and hungry etc is very important too, the mind is very good at believeing everything we tell it!
    2. What you nourishing your body with or not in the days that you are starving yourself!  As other people have suggested  a balanced diet will help you over starvatinh every day of the week!
    3. How you are feeling your soul, sometimes we eat to compensate for the lack of something in our life other than physical hunger so we may eat or drink in the evening. 

please se let us know how you get on with your doctor and keep us updated with your progress!

youve got this xx 
  • loopyt
    loopyt Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi Sharon and everyone reading this interesting post. I have always used Dr Hay's diet as I find it suits me. I watched a programme about diets some time ago and they investigated 3 or 4 different diets using volunteers and this achieved the best result. If you look on line there is lots of information and it is quite an easy diet to follow once you get the hang of it. It is so difficult to stay trim with reduced mobility but do get advice as everyone says from your GP or practice nurse x
  • loopyt
    loopyt Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    After problems with digestion some years ago I use Dr Hay's diet. It really does work and has the benefit of weight loss without much effort. As everyone says it is important to seek advice from  your GP or practice nurse and there is information on the internet and several books available. It is also thought to help with other health issues. Good luck x
  • sharon1971
    Ive been to see my Dr.  My iron level was really low 8 instead of 40 plus my hormone level is all over the place to. So instead of coming off meds I'm on an extra 6 a day.  Most of the meds I'm on for bp and bpd have the side effect of putting weight on.  I'm trying to eat little but often but it is a real struggle. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nanniel
    nanniel Community member Posts: 1 Listener

In your case, I think, it’s important to do a few different things at the same time. Firstly, try to drink something that stops you from wanting to have food. Something organic and harmless, like Garcinina. Secondly, you need something external. Creams like Nivele might be suitable, and sauna and massages can help too. Good luck!

Brightness