Love Your Enemies!!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Love Your Enemies!!!

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    It's a nice way to think @DannyMoore :) 
    It takes a lot to learn to forgive those who hurt you but perhaps it is the healthiest thing to do. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    It hard to forgive those you hurt you but like way you think 
    V.shaw
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    I don't let hatred or obsession get in the way of my life. BUT I don't turn the other cheek.
    If someone causes harm to me or mine I will act in any appropriate way to stop this and prevent this happening in future.
    I was brought up a strict Methodist as a child and suffered the consequences of cheek turning in an underclass environment.
    I disagree with your assumption that those who cause harm to others are 'suffering' in my experience they (as Gandhi put it) see their position in life elevated by the belittlement of others. Many enjoy the harm and suffering they cause others.
    We have a duty to stop abuse, not only to ourselves but to others as well.

I prefer (slightly updated) the alternate doctrine. -

A person is given strength to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

May your God go with you, Namaste,

Jon

• [Deleted User]
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    foxuk said:
    I disagree with your assumption that those who cause harm to others are 'suffering' in my experience they (as Gandhi put it) see their position in life elevated by the belittlement of others. Many enjoy the harm and suffering they cause others.

I remember being told a few years ago that the reason for someone's behaviour (he harassed me, basically and then blamed me when he got sectioned) was my fault. Because he has mental health problems, it wasn't his fault one bit. 

It seemed to me that nothing was his fault, ever and if anything bad happened to him (even if he started it) it was your fault. The police told me the same. No-one cared about how this affected me one bit.

I left a group because of him. I was told he'd left (just before I was about to) and that it was other peoples fault.

I found out at some point he'd harassed other people too and it was the same - it was never his fault and he'd throw a paddy if he didn't get his own way with them.
  • [Deleted User]
  • lavender
    lavender Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    My dad,long since dead thankfully,fought in ww11,first in the para's,then s.o.e?
    Working behind enemy lines,seeing and carrying out awful things,left deep mental scars?
    As a child i suffered,mental,physical abuse until the age of 16yrs,only after taking martial arts lessons did it stop?
    All those years of being unable to fight back (cowardess) has never/will never leave me.
    Now i refuse to be bullyed,rather beaten down than back down,i can mentally cope with coming second,i can now never live by being the coward i was in my childhood years.
    foxuk.., Touches on it,but one has to suffer over a prolonged period of time to preach to others ?
    If religion does it for you,by turning the other cheek,think yourself very fortunate,it did not work for the innocents in 39-45 Europe?
    Me i will defend myself,and others i do not tolerate bad behaviour,or bullying.
    I suppose one could extend the argument,abolish our armed forces,inteigence community,and even our brave police officers,as we all will turn the other cheek,and except the Evil of those who wish to harm us all?
  • ClydeBuilt
    ClydeBuilt Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    At 60, I seem to have 'outgrown' my religion?
    I no longer believe in organised religions, but there are certain life facts I live by, Turning the other cheek I will only allow for so long, then I must protect myself. I get all 'Top Gun' with my 'Do Not Fire Until Fired Upon thing', hurt my family however and I will react with extreme predjudice.
  • lavender
    ClydeBuilt...!!  At your age would you agree it seems a very sad reflection on our society that the only acceptable opinion is the "Politically Correct One"?
  • [Deleted User]
  • lavender
    DannyMoore. Just one question?
    Will you ever forget the ones who hurt you?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2017
  • lavender
    DannyMoore,Many thanks for your kind contribution,like me it appears you do not sleep well? I have so much envy for the peace you have found by forgiving your enemies,your life and mind it seems are at one in peace,your path of coping with your enemies/bullies seems to bring the tranquility you,and all of us desire? I feel even if i should rid the world of all evil,after what i have suffered, my mind would still not be at peace,counselling,meds mask my anger,and hatred,when asked ,why did i not committ suicide it left me speachless,only after leaving the room questioning myself,i asked myself why do i live relentlessly over again,it came as a suprise,i live because of the pain,hurt ,anger that i have allowed others to make me the messed up human i now am,i now seek to revenge,confronting all that seek to do harm to me,of course i am my own worst enemy,i see evil where it is not,which then dissapoints me,only to re-new my search,please do not think i am brave i am dumb,i refuse to find the peace your so fortunate to have found in your life,it will not come to me,the die was cast at childhood. I would if dishonest,tell you i will try your example,tranquility will not be allowed to visit me my mental blockade sees this as a weakness,if only i could realise how self destructive i am to myself,of course i am guilty of being a provacter,staring at innocent people until they avert their gaze,provoking in my stares for them to confront me,how stupid and mixed up these lovely folks must think i am?
    God Bless you and all your loved ones D.M ,

Brightness