ESA PAYMENTS WHILST ON TRIBUNAL RECONSIDERATION — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA PAYMENTS WHILST ON TRIBUNAL RECONSIDERATION

Options
cakey3747
cakey3747 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Can anyone tell me if you will receive ESA payments whilst an appeal has gone to a tribunal for reconsideration ?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cakey3747

A very big welcome to you to our website/ online community I do hope that we can help you with your current situation/problem.

I will get one off our Benefits Advisor to help and assist us if that is ok.

Please please let me know if I can help you further.

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

Can you please help me with this post.

Many thanks.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello cakey3747

Firstly the below information is based on the case that an appeal has been lodged to a Tribunal.  If this is not the case and you have lodged a Mandatory Reconsideration it maybe that you have to claim JSA or Universal Credit.

ESA can be refused if a decision is made that you do not have 'limited capability for work'.   That is ESA have decided that you can work following a medical assessment.

ESA can also be refused if a person fails to attend a medical assessment or fails to return an ESA50 form to the DWP. 

If ESA was refused as a person did not attend a medical or did not return a form then ESA cannot be paid pending a decision by a tribunal on your appeal. 

If ESA was refused because you challenged the decision that you do not have 'limited capability for work', then ESA may be paid pending a tribunal decision on your appeal. However, this only applies if this is the first time that a decision has been made  that you do not have limited capability for work.  As such, if you have had a previous decision to refuse ESA on this basis and you did not successfully challenge this decision then ESA will not be paid. 

In short if this is the first time that ESA has stopped as you have been found capable of work then ESA should generally be paid whilst you are waiting for a tribunal to make a decision on your appeal. 

If the above applies to you, then you must send a Fit Note to ESA and ask that they re-instate benefit. 

I hope the above helps

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    tomm,
    If you have a new or significantly worsened condition then yes, it doesn't matter if this isn't the first time you have failed the work capability assessment. The DWP guidance says that 'significantly worsened' means they must now think it's likely you would pass the work capability assessment.

In this situation, you can either get ESA whilst waiting for the outcome of an appeal, or you could claim again (if your condition has got worse since the decision you're not happy with, I would recommend claiming again, as the tribunal can't consider circumstances which didn't apply at the date of the decision).

Will

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    Hello tomm

The rules about reclaiming ESA when waiting for an appeal are tremendously complicated.  You are right that if your condition has got worse you can reclaim ESA.

I hope your MR is successful.

Maria

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.