Change of circumstance/deterioration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of circumstance/deterioration

xxgaynorxx
xxgaynorxx Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
Hi i was awarded pip high care and standard mobility due to mental health. 16 points care and 10 mobility. This was 18 mnths ago.
Since then my physical health has deteriorated. Arthritis bursitis and sciatica.
My mobility is now restricted and im in so mucb pain and most days cant walk far.
My award is until 2025.
Will a change in circumstances retrigger the process again ieforms medicals etc?
Or can a decision maker at DWP just decide?
I dont know the process and due to mental health i dont think i could go tbrough tbe whole 'pip' thing again. Thanks.

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    If you do put in a change of circumstance, you'll go through the whole process again. And that's exact;y is what is putting me off informing them of changes.
  • xxgaynorxx
    It really is a nightmare. Thanks for your reply. On my award it says they dont expect any changes in my mental health. Hence a 10yr award.
    I dont think i could go through the whole process but i feel i should be entitled to another 4 points because of physical health. 
    4 points would give me enhanced mobility. Im in a dilemma im afraid. 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    They said the same with me. (standard care, higher mobility for 10 years) My condition has changed a lot over this past year and I know I've got enough points for enhanced care.

The problem we both have (and this is what's putting me off) is there's a risk of losing what we've been awarded completely.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @xxgaynorxx

You might want to re-post in Ask a benefits advisor category.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @xxgaynorxx you might want to think about how secure you feel about what you've already got i.e. assess the risk of losing anything. How strong the evidence is for increasing your mobility and whether you feel able to go through the whole process again. If you decide to stick with what you've got for now there may be a time in the future but not as long as they've given you that you could work towards. This is what I'm doing but mine will be a review in two years time. I may try a change of circumstance before then but only if or when I have a very strong case. I hope I will know when the time is right. If you have any doubts now I would do some more research of the criteria and wait till you are sure you can't fail..
  • xxgaynorxx
    I have a very strong mental health team so i feel my case is quite solid.
    Its just all the stories about ATOS/CAPITA assessments failing people and either not observing/listening or lying.
    When i had my last assessment/medical.
    He was nice enough and compassionate to my mental health.
    ALTHOUGH....HE said due to me being distressed he would not perform a physical exam..YET my report states different that he performed one and i could bend legs arms, etc etc etc.
    My CPN nurse was with me at the time.
    But because i was happy with my decision i never questioned it.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @xxgaynorxx That was a very nasty trick to play on you. If you don't feel able to complain as it was some time ago I suggest you ask your CPN to write a note on headed paper (from where he/she works) stating what she witnessed at the assessment. You can then be assured (hopefully) that those physical exam results you never did won't be used against you in any future review of your claim.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    It's a very risky decision, one that i personnally wouldn't take. They'll send you that dreaded PIP2 form and you'll most likely have to go for another assessment. They will also look at the whole award and not just Mobility part. My condition got worse in the middle of my last award, my mobility was considerably worse and was awarded 10 points the first time. I decided against reporting those changes in fear of losing everything. At my review a few months ago i put the changes down on the form, went for another assessment. Decision, finally got Enhanced mobility with Daily living staying the same at Standard.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Whilst reporting a change in circumstance is likely to trigger a full reveiw, it is not always the case. As with any claim, a decision can be made on the evidence alone, without the need for f2f.
    By reporting a change of circumstance, you are asking not for a new decision but a supersession to the existing award ie. an amendment to the award that you already have.

The decision is of course yours but I would recommend talking this over with a trained adviser, either CAB or ring the Scope help line.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.