Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Universal credit

animalprintladyanimalprintlady Member Posts: 4 Listener
I am asking on behalf of my Autistic  son Thomas.  We were wondering what benefit he would be entitled too now he has finished college. He is seeking work with the help of Kent supportive employment, but no luck as yet. He has just had his d l a taken away, but we have sent appeal papers back to appeal. Can he claim universal credit if you was claiming d l a???  Or is there other benefits he should be applying for. This is very confusing for him. Any advice would be great. Kind regards debra


  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    DLA or PIP as it probably is now is not a means tested benefit, best of luck with appeal.
    Please let us know if we can be of assistance with this.

    PIP is paid because a person needs help with daily tasks and/or mobility. It does not preclude a person from claiming out of work benefits or indeed working full time.
    Have you tried one of the online benefit calculators ?

    We are here to help and assist if we can. please let us know how we can help

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • NystagmiteNystagmite Member Posts: 609 Pioneering
    Can he work? If not, it would either be ESA or universal credit. But it depends on the area he's in. He'll need fit notes (sick notes) from his GP for an ESA claim.

    (I have no idea how universal credit works, I'm afraid)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    edited November 2017
    Hi animalprintlady

    It would be a good idea to establish whether your (son's) jobcentre is in a live or a full service universal credit area.  To do this, go onto www.entitledto.org.uk and input your postcode in the "When will  Universal Credit affect you?" box half way down the homepage.

    If you get the message "At the moment the only people in your area affected by Universal Credit are single unemployed people without children who are making a new benefit claim", this means that your son needs to talk to the GP to establish whether or not a fit note can be issued. If yes, he can claim ESA, if no, he would have to claim Universal Credit as an unemployed person.  

    If you get the message "Almost everyone in your area making a new benefit claim should be asked to claim Universal Credit", then this is a full service universal credit area and regardless of whether your son is claiming as someone to ill or disabled to work, or as someone who is unemployed, he must claim universal credit. 

    He would need to go online at www.gov.uk to make the claim.

    The Universal Credit helpline is at  0800 328 9344 , in case you get stuck with any of this. 

    Best wishes 

  • animalprintladyanimalprintlady Member Posts: 4 Listener
    thanks for your reply, we applied for UC, but because I am his appointee, he could not apply for uc, he had to claim Jsa. We went to the job centre yesterday all went well and just waiting to hear. And we got to see a work coach next week. All worked out in the end.? Thanks again for your reply, 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi animalprintlady

    Thanks for your reply.

    This sounds ok, good luck with the JSA processing - it won't be as long a wait as with universal credit at least. 

  • animalprintladyanimalprintlady Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi gill
    thanks, in a perfect world I would love him to get a job 

  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi animalprintlady
    And hopefully he will in due course.
    Best wishes

Sign in or join us to comment.